Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help! With speaker settings and crossover....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help! With speaker settings and crossover....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a JVC Receiver.(non dts)1 Yamaha center speaker placed on top of tv. Pair of JBL speakers as my mains. and 2 Klipsch speakers for my surrounds(on adjustable stands)No Sub-woofer yet. Got the Klipsch's recently, but everything else about 1yr old.
my ques is on my receiver it has a crossover(80, 100, 120 mhz) speakers can be selected off, small or large. Sub is off. when everything is set to large, crossover is off. very clear sound all around except that center doesnt have that much bass. when i set the center to small the bass signal is sent to the main lft and right giving a solid sound, but i notice a little less carity all around. While keepimg this speaker choice, i play with the crossover. Hard for me to tell the difference. what does each #(80,100,1200) exactly do? In other words , what sound do i get from what #selection of the 3, to what speaker and so forth? keep in mind i remember how clear it all sounded when the speaker size were all set to large. but there was no bass for the center. I know a sub will probably solve the problem, but for right now i need help with the sections. Which ones do you use and which is the best combo???? Thanks for the help
Old 01-16-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how my pioneer receiver works. When you set the speakers to large, the system will send all of the frequencies to those speakers. As in, if you set all of the speakers to large, then the system will pass everything through, but if you set only the LF and RF to large and the rest to small; they system will pass all freqs to the LF and RF and frequency cut the others to the corssover setting you selected.

If you tell the system you have no sub and some speakers are large, the system should divert the LFE signal to those speakers.

You need to check your center and surrounds and determine what their bottom freqs are that they can handle. If they can handle 20 - 22k, then set them to large; otherwise set the crossover freq to their lower endand select small. I assume that your LF and RF are full range and can take 20 - 22khz. those will be set as large.

Did that help?

[This message has been edited by vlad (edited January 16, 2001).]