Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-01, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a DVD player (Toshiba SD-2150) and a receiver (Sony STR-DE845) with DTS capabilities. So far, most of my DTS DVDs have played fine. But my Jaws 25th Anniversary DTS DVD is only giving me Dolby Digital 2/0 Prologic. I checked to make sure my DVD player was set to bitstream. I tested other DVDs (2001, Terminator 2) that show 5.1 channel output. With the same settings, however, Jaws only shows a 2 channel output. Has anybody else encountered a problem like this? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-05-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I have the same reciever so maybe I can help, is the reciever set to auto format decode. Ok you say your other dvds are working fine, T2 has both a dts track and a dd track, you have to select which one, was dts working with t2 and did the reciever actually say dts3/2, cause that is what it should read if it is correctly decoding the dts signal.

------------------
The Star Wars collecting, DVD watching, Highlander addicted, keyboard playing, music loving, bad a$$ mo fo!!!
Old 01-06-01, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't remember how Jaws-DTS looked in the setup menus but it may be that you are selecting the DD surround instead of the DTS by accident. I have encountered a few DVD's that make it hard to tell between the two audio selections which one is actually selected. Try selecting opposite to how you are selecting the audio now and see if it runs the DTS audio. If it does then it is one of those deceptive menus.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 01-06-01, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am not sure about the receivers auto format decode feature. What I can say is that there are seperate DTS and DD5.1 versions of Jaws. The DTS version also has a DD2.0 track. Like all DTS DVD's it automatically defaults to DD2.0, so if it's played on non-DTS compliant components it will not ruin them. Of course the receivers auto format decode feature may take care of this.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-06-01, 12:03 PM

OK Guys,

KnightSkywalker, you are correct in stating that you have to select the DTS track for T2 to get it to play in dts[3/2]. I do not find a similar option on the Jaws DVD.

In playing around with changing audio options through the DVD player on-screen menu, I noticed that with the 2001 DVD (which defaults to Dolby Digital 3/2), I am able to switch back and forth between 5.1CH and 2CH. I am unable to make on-screen changes with either Jaws or T2 (and it doesn't matter with T2 since I can change the settings using the DVD menu -- I don't see a similar menu in the Jaws DVD). Taking off auto format decode doesn't seem to help.

So basically, I can't seem to get any other setting for Jaws than the Dolby Digital 2/0.
Old 01-06-01, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmmmm very very strange. Cloud was right in stating that DTS discs have a 2.0 DD track. Its wierd that it seems to be defaulting to DD. From my understanding you are saying that you can not change the audio track from the DVD player menu, that is the case sometimes with different audio tracks, on some discs you can't change them on the fly. Ok and it is also my understanding that you did not see an option under the audio menu of the Jaws disc (assuming it has one, I don't own the disc). It still sounds to me like there is an option on the disc's menu to go between DD 2.0 and DTS and it is difficult to find, it does not at all sound like a problem with the reciever, maybe I will check out a copy of Jaws to see if I can get it to work.

------------------
The Star Wars collecting, DVD watching, slow skating but hard checking Highlander addicted, keyboard playing, music loving, lurking, bad a$$ mo fo!!!
Old 01-06-01, 04:05 PM

After your posts, I went back and checked Jaws again -- checked the one place my rock-headed, idiot-self had apparently not checked before. Eureka! I now have DTS.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick and helpful responses for this poor novice. Y'all are the best.
Old 01-06-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by boolittlek:
After your posts, I went back and checked Jaws again -- checked the one place my rock-headed, idiot-self had apparently not checked before. Eureka! I now have DTS.

Anyway, thanks for all the quick and helpful responses for this poor novice. Y'all are the best.
<HR>

Just to make you feel better let me tell you the story of a buddy of mine named John. He has the same reciever as us, and I hooked it up for him perfectly, in addition to the rest of his home theater.

Then one day John decides to move the reciever, and procedes to knock the thing out of his entertainment unit, everything pops outta the back and he just randomly plugs wires back in.

I didn't even bother hooking it up for him again, I just went with the flow.

------------------
The Star Wars collecting, DVD watching, slow skating but hard checking Highlander addicted, keyboard playing, music loving, lurking, bad a$$ mo fo!!!