Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommended Front Speaker Trio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommended Front Speaker Trio

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-00, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Looking for recommendations for center speaker and mains in the $1000-to-$1500 range (for the set). In the past, I've been partial to Polk and Klipsch, although because the room I'm building will be relatively small (15' by 12'), my love affair with Klipsch may be ending.

I plan on running a Denon AVR-4800, Sony DVP-S9000-ES, Acoustic Research ARS500 sub, and four Polk f/x300i surrounds.

[This message has been edited by Cujo13 (edited December 04, 2000).]
Old 12-04-00, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cujo,

I'd have to reccommend the front three from the Atlantic 270 THX system. They retail for $1,250 for the set, and are great for smaller rooms like you hanve. I have their 450e THX system, and it is nothing short of incredible. The 270s are much the same design, but smaller.

www.atlantictechnology.com

You can only get them from authorized dealers though. So unfortunately, they may be hard to find in your area, and there isn't any great online pricing.

By the way. I own over $15,000 worth of Klipsch, and I have worked for a Polk Dealer for a long time.

------------------
...post game show is brought to you by,......Christ I can't find it... To hell with it!

[This message has been edited by Green Jello (edited December 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Green Jello (edited December 04, 2000).]
Old 12-05-00, 11:45 AM

Thanks GJ,

Maybe I can give the Atlantics a listen in Denver somewhere.

Since you're a Polk dealer, I should ask what you think of the Polks in this price range? And any opinions on my choice of the f/x300i for all four surrounds would be appreciated. (I'm also considering the Klipsch RS-3s.)

Anyone else have any recommendations?
Old 12-05-00, 12:14 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Cujo13:
Thanks GJ,

Maybe I can give the Atlantics a listen in Denver somewhere.

Since you're a Polk dealer, I should ask what you think of the Polks in this price range? And any opinions on my choice of the f/x300i for all four surrounds would be appreciated. (I'm also considering the Klipsch RS-3s.)

Anyone else have any recommendations?
<HR>

I've never been that fond of any Polk products (except maybe the SRT) to be completely honest. The Klipsch RS-3s are a great surround speaker. I put those in at my girlfriends house with the theater setup I gave her.

Question,...If you haven't already bought rears, then why are you only asking about the front three? Whenever possible, you want to keep them all the same brand. The rears for the Atlantic 270 system are $650 a pair (retail). That's a little higher than the Polk or Klipsch, but well worth it.

For some reason the webpage on Atlantic's site for the 270 system is down. I contacted them for you to work on getting it up and running.

If you want to stay with all Klipsch, look into the RB-5s for the mains, the RC-3 center and the RS-3s for the rears. That system puts you at $1,150 for the front three and $1,700 for the whole system. I have installed this exact system in someones house and with a good sub, it sounds great.

Cujo, if you want, please feel free to e-mail me with any questions on this gear that you may have.

[This message has been edited by Green Jello (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old 12-05-00, 12:33 PM
Banned

Here is a link to a great review of the Atlantic 270 THX system from Home Theater Magazine:
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/pu.../System270.pdf
Old 12-05-00, 12:58 PM

I agree with Green Jello that Atlantic Technology makes some damn fine speakers.

I do have disagree with Green Jello on another matter though. There is a good place to shop online for Atlantic Technology speakers. Try checking out this site: www.speedandsound.com. They carry all of models of Atlantic Technology speakers at very good prices. This is a site that only sells higher end equipment. I have dealt with them in the past and have been very happy with both their prices and service. I am not sure if they are an authorized dealer or not so you may want to call their 800 number and find out.
Old 12-05-00, 01:26 PM

I'd pass on the Polk and Klipsch. They're
OK, but there's better out for the same
money.

http://www.goodsound.com/speakers.html

In your range, something like the Paradigm
Monitor 7, and CC-350 come to mind. PSB
also makes some fine speakers, as do NHT.
Old 12-05-00, 01:33 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
I agree with Green Jello that Atlantic Technology makes some damn fine speakers.

I do have disagree with Green Jello on another matter though. There is a good place to shop online for Atlantic Technology speakers. Try checking out this site: www.speedandsound.com. They carry all of models of Atlantic Technology speakers at very good prices.
<HR>

Atlantic only sells their lesser models online. The 270, 370 and 450e systems can only be sold by licsensed retailers. You can't find these online. I noticed that the link you posted is selling the 450e system. According to Atlantic, they are doing this against their policy.

[This message has been edited by Green Jello (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old 12-06-00, 12:51 PM

Thanks! I'm now jazzed about Atlantic Technology. If not for this site, I might never have heard of them. I'm going to set up a demonstration when I visit family in southern California later this month.

Green Jello, since you've offered, I'll probably be contacting you over email to ask further questions. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-06-00, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should also check out B&W's 600 and 800 series. Very nice speakers for the money. Depending on your choice of model, you should be able to get all three for under $1500.

Old 12-06-00, 01:44 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by edclem:
You should also check out B&W's 600 and 800 series. Very nice speakers for the money. Depending on your choice of model, you should be able to get all three for under $1500.

<HR>

Cujo,
I agree with this, they are a great speaker. I just didn't mention them because they will be hard to get into your budget. I still, however, prefer the Atlantic.
Old 12-06-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by M i c h a e l:
In your range, something like the Paradigm
Monitor 7, and CC-350 come to mind. PSB
also makes some fine speakers, as do NHT.
<HR>

Actually, for his price range, he might be able to get some Paradigm Reference speakers although I have no clue how they cost. I went with the Monitor 7 / CC-170 combo and it cost 1000$ Cdn so it came to around 650$ Us.
Old 12-06-00, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
I spent $1,350 on the Klipsch Reference Series.

RF-3's (towers with two gold aluminum cones and tweeter horn)

RF-C (gorgeous sounding center)

RS-3's WDST surrounds with tweeter horn on left and right and aluminum gold cone on the middle

The sound is drastically too real when these speakers are played on Dolby Digital!

-sonic

Old 12-06-00, 06:28 PM

B&W CDM-1NT's ($1200/pair) and CDM-CNT ($600). You should be able to get these for close to $1500. Typically, B&W dealers will knock off 10%.
Old 01-03-01, 05:16 PM

Bought the Atlantic Technology 270 series, along with an extra pair of surrounds. Got the entire setup for $2400 at a place called Pacific Sales in Irvine, CA. The demo had me salivating. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 01-03-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If ya have time check out Infinity's new line up of speakers. Some very nice stuff there.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16