Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please recommend 4K BR Player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please recommend 4K BR Player

Old 04-03-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Please recommend 4K BR Player

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Looks fantastic to me but I only know what I know. It's a no frills players with no smart apps (which I don't need anyways) and maybe why it's so cheap.
That could definitely be it. Does it have Wi-Fi?

Like you, I don't need the Smart Apps, as I have a Roku.
Old 04-04-20, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope, just an ethernet port. It does have dual HDMI ports which is crucial if you donít have a 4K receiver.
Old 04-04-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Nope, just an ethernet port. It does have dual HDMI ports which is crucial if you donít have a 4K receiver.
Good to know! Currently, I'm only rocking a lowly Vizio Sound Bar.
Old 04-07-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If my 4K TV supports Dolby Vision & HDR10, should I go with a player that supports Dolby Vision?

The Sony UBPX700 supports Dolby Vision and is $199.99 at Best Buy (or $179.99 at Walmart).

The Panasonic DP-UB420-K does not support Dolby Vision but is currently on-sale for $219.99 at Best Buy and comes with a free 4K BD.

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-07-20 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 11:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

^ I would say yes. DV is generally understood to be better than HDR10, for... reasons. I actually don't know the specifics, but something about DV having more zones or more dynamic HDR processing than HDR10 (or something like that) which is, for lack of a better term, 'simpler' in its underlying function. I haven't been able to do any kind of legitimate side-by-side comparison, as I only have an XBox which does DV or HDR10 with apps (if they support it), but only HDR10 with discs.
Maybe I'll spring for that UBPX700 with my tax money... hmmm...

I'm sure someone else will have a better, more technical answer. But... I'd say go with the player that supports DV.
Old 04-07-20, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Sony ubp x800m2 is my weapon of choice.
Old 04-07-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to everyone who helped out with recommendations! Appreciate it greatly!

I ended up picking up the Sony UBPX700 at my local Walmart for $179.99 for the Dolby Vision support.
Old 04-07-20, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Thanks to everyone who helped out with recommendations! Appreciate it greatly!

I ended up picking up the Sony UBPX700 at my local Walmart for $179.99 for the Dolby Vision support.
Just know that with the x700, Dolby Vision must manually be turned on and off. You must find out if the disc you are playing supports DV and if so, go into the menus and turn it on. Don't forget to go back into the menu after the movie is finished and shut it off. If you don't, it will enable DV on non DV content (HDR & SDR) and will look like complete shit. A bit of a hassle but I do believe it is the cheapest player with DV.
Old 04-07-20, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by T-bone22 View Post
Just know that with the x700, Dolby Vision must manually be turned on and off. You must find out if the disc you are playing supports DV and if so, go into the menus and turn it on. Don't forget to go back into the menu after the movie is finished and shut it off. If you don't, it will enable DV on non DV content (HDR & SDR) and will look like complete shit. A bit of a hassle but I do believe it is the cheapest player with DV.
Thank you for the heads up!

That's not too bad. I was definitely happy with the price.
Old 04-08-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Oops! I took way too long to reply to your PM and missed that you'd made a decision. Sorry I didn't turn that around faster. Still, I'm sure you'll be really happy with the Sony. In the other forums I read, there are basically two players everyone seems to swear by, and the Sony is one of 'em.
Old 04-08-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Oops! I took way too long to reply to your PM and missed that you'd made a decision. Sorry I didn't turn that around faster. Still, I'm sure you'll be really happy with the Sony. In the other forums I read, there are basically two players everyone seems to swear by, and the Sony is one of 'em.
Not a problem! All the recommendations you all gave here helped my research tremendously.

Went with the Sony for the Dolby Vision and the price (at Walmart).
Old 04-08-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^ I would say yes. DV is generally understood to be better than HDR10, for... reasons. I actually don't know the specifics, but something about DV having more zones or more dynamic HDR processing than HDR10 (or something like that) which is, for lack of a better term, 'simpler' in its underlying function. I haven't been able to do any kind of legitimate side-by-side comparison, as I only have an XBox which does DV or HDR10 with apps (if they support it), but only HDR10 with discs.
Maybe I'll spring for that UBPX700 with my tax money... hmmm...

I'm sure someone else will have a better, more technical answer. But... I'd say go with the player that supports DV.
Dolby Vision has true 12-bit color processing, making it better with the top displays.
Old 04-08-20, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Dolby Vision has true 12-bit color processing, making it better with the top displays.
While this is true, there are almost no devices out there that can take advantage of it. Even the top OLEDs are 10 bit panels. I suppose it's possible that the 12 bit DV signal MIGHT give slightly better results in gradation, with less banding.

Where DV truly shines over HDR10, is the dynamic metadata.
Old 04-14-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 4K TV I ordered was delivered today, so I'm now getting a chance to tinker around with it and the Sony UBPX7000 I bought with it.

So far, I've used linked Calibrated Settings to check out The Dark Knight (4K BD) & Parasite (BD).