Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JBL S310 speakers-Are they any good?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JBL S310 speakers-Are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-00, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have these speakers? Can they
recommend them? I've heard mostly good things
about them,but I still would like to get more
opinions.
Oh,and I tried to demo them at Best Buy,but
I don't think they were even hooked up,since
music was only coming out these bookshelf speakers.
Old 12-29-00, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I would say "if it's JBL - it's good or great". Got 2 different models of JBL's myself - would not trade for anything. I still have JBL's which I bought in 1978 - a set of 4311 studio monitors - the manual says "guaranteed for 5 years, but if they EVER break please contact us and we'll do our best to make it right. We feel good speakers should last a lifetime." Or something rather similar to that.
Old 12-30-00, 02:06 PM

I have a pair of them. They sound really great. You can get them from ecost.com about $200 a piece before S&H.
Old 12-31-00, 05:42 PM
Cool New Member

I got my JBLs setup to my Onkyo: a match made in heaven...nuff said.
Old 01-01-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If these speakers are either of the big floorstanding ones at Best Buy, then I would say NO.

I heard both of these the other day and they just sound horrid. The bass was sloppy and the highs were muffled.

For this price you can definately get some quality speakers. I would check out Klipsch, Paradigm, and NHT. These are not sold in stores like Best Buy, you will have to dealers in the Yellow pages (or search the net). But once you hear speakers like these, you will never go back to mass market speakers.

In any case, good luck.
Old 01-02-01, 10:08 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nizzo:
If these speakers are either of the big floorstanding ones at Best Buy, then I would say NO.
<HR>

That is a really poor statement. No speaker will sound good at Best Buy since they are never hooked up right. The speakers are never optimally set up. Plus they are always being run off a $hitty reciever. I own a pair of S-310 speakers which I run off a Sony 555ES and they sound awesome. I have heard many other high end brands and the S-310's are one of the best full range floor standing speakers in their price range. My ES reciever makes these speakers sing and the bass hits hard. They work very well in conjunction with my ARS500 sub. If you are truely interested in these speakers then do yourself a favor and give these speakers a listen in a decent setup.

Old 01-02-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
OK I work at Best Buy so I feel I have to defend my store here. Well actually in this case I really can't. We have a HORRIBLE speaker listening environment, no speaker rooms, cheap hookups, and HIGH ceilings. You can't get much worse of a combination. I do take a little exception to the receiver remark though. Right now we are running the HTR-5250 from Yamaha, which is a pretty good receiver at $500. Remember we can't ALL afford $2500 receivers.
Old 01-02-01, 11:49 PM

The S-38 have gotten rave reviews from just about everywhere and everyone. My only question is... how do i mount them since they lay horizontal instead of vertical?
Old 01-03-01, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love my S-312 just got the S Center and N24 to complete the set for Christmas. Unless you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, I think you found the right stuff.
Old 01-03-01, 09:31 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Idex:
The S-38 have gotten rave reviews from just about everywhere and everyone. My only question is... how do i mount them since they lay horizontal instead of vertical?
<HR>

You dont mount them. They are huge bookshelf speakers that measure 12"x12"x17" and weigh a lot. You could try mounting a shelf that would be big enough and strong enough to support the S-38s but I don't see any other way. Hell, I have the S-26's as surrounds and they were so big I had to put some shelves in.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited January 03, 2001).]