Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LG 65UM7300PUA – Intermittent crackling through external speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 08:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6336444

Just bought this TV on Thursday, got it connected up, everything is working great, except…..

I run my audio through an Onkyo TX8555 100W/channel RMS stereo receiver and a pair of Sony floor standing speakers (same speakers I was using with my Pioneer 53” Rear Projection HDTV). No HDMI or optical on the receiver, they told me I’d need to adapt it to optical so that it would work with this TV. Bought an RCA to Optical adapter and optical cable, ran RCA from the receiver, adapted to optical, ran optical to the TV.

Also have a PSOne I wanted to be able to play on this TV, had to adapt that to HDMI (might’ve been able to run the red/white/yellow plugs to the TV, don’t know, but figured why not upgrade that to an HDMI connector).

Everything is working great (might need to adjust some video settings yet) but I’m getting an intermittent crackling in the external speakers. Crackling (burst) only lasts a second but it happens every 2 to 3 minutes. It only happens in the external speakers, not the TV speakers.

I’d really like to find out what this crackling burst is and resolve it. So far LG is useless, thought I’d ask you A/V geniuses to see if any of you have any idea what this might be (before I pull what’s left of my hair out).

Thanks!
Old 10-08-19, 06:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Re: LG 65UM7300PUA – Intermittent crackling through external speakers

It seems like the more research I do into this, the more it's pointing to the Optical to RCA adapter as being the culprit here.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=4226000

Two things I have in common with these people reviewing: "Popping noise" and I've already had to unplug it (wait a minute) and plug it back in, just a couple of days after its first run, to get my audio back.
Old 10-10-19, 06:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Just to make sure it wasn't the audio port on the receiver, I plugged my turntable into it (had to crank the volume up to max to hear it) played an album, did not hear the same burst of noise.

Took the converter back to BB, swapped it with a replacement, hooked it up, turned it on, the one second burst of crackling/popping/static is still there, but quieter and less often.

This is just weird.

I'm guessing Insignia isn't the highest quality stuff out there? Maybe if I tried a well-reviewed converter from Amazon...
Old 10-16-19, 02:07 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

My suspicion that Insignia wasn't the highest quality stuff appears to be correct. Bought a
Techole Techole
converter from Amazon for $15 (vs. the Insignia @ $30), powered by USB, works great. Problem solved.
Old 10-16-19, 02:12 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Now maybe the 167 people who viewed this thread will have an answer if something like this ever happens to them...
Old 10-16-19, 04:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I got nothing on this one. I'm unfamiliar with the equipment you have. But you're right, Insignia isn't the highest quality. I think that's basically Best Buy's main electronic generic brand. Glad it was something that didn't cost a lot to fix.