Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dreamcast vs. PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-00, 05:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just followed this thread from the beginning till here, and I can say that it's pretty f*cked up. PS2, to dreamcast, to n64????? sad. I've had my n64 since it's release. Played Mario to death, found the goodness hidden inside bond, and haven't really played it since. It's really not that great of a system. They really pulled a sega on it, with a really limited number of good developers, and this new target audience of gamers about 3-7 years old. I'm really dissappointed with its lack of performance. I would never buy a sony product for it's repeated display of this kind of behavior. Nintendo and Sega merging? AHHHHH! Lack of support meets crappy games. Sony is such a strong company and is the first company to make backwards compatible games(except for gameboy color). Hello? Was it really that hard. They have proven that they can make a good system, with exceptionally strong games, and continue to nurture their customers by backwards compatibility.

Top five reasons not to spend any money on dreamcast:

5. Sega CD
4. Sonic the hedgehog
3. Sega Channel
2. Saturn
1. 32x
Old 12-31-00, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DRAGOn:
I just followed this thread from the beginning till here, and I can say that it's pretty f*cked up. PS2, to dreamcast, to n64????? sad. I've had my n64 since it's release. Played Mario to death, found the goodness hidden inside bond, and haven't really played it since. It's really not that great of a system. They really pulled a sega on it, with a really limited number of good developers, and this new target audience of gamers about 3-7 years old. I'm really dissappointed with its lack of performance. I would never buy a sony product for it's repeated display of this kind of behavior. Nintendo and Sega merging? AHHHHH! Lack of support meets crappy games. Sony is such a strong company and is the first company to make backwards compatible games(except for gameboy color). Hello? Was it really that hard. They have proven that they can make a good system, with exceptionally strong games, and continue to nurture their customers by backwards compatibility.

Top five reasons not to spend any money on dreamcast:

5. Sega CD
4. Sonic the hedgehog
3. Sega Channel
2. Saturn
1. 32x
<HR>

Hmmmm.... Yes, OK whatever.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-31-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Top 3 reasons to buy a Dreamcast if only for these three reasons!!!!

RE Code Name Veronica
Shenmue
Skies Of Arcadia

And Half-Life will be a fourth in March!!!

I would agree there are not that many games for the Dreamcast worth owning but this is also the case for the PS, PS2, N64 and soon to be Gamecube and Xbox!!! It is worthwhile owning each system to have the access to all games available!!! If I was going to be as close minded as some here, I would have missed out on at least these games which I have mentioned above.....no way in hell!!!
------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 01-01-01, 05:51 PM

Add to that list - Crazy Taxi, Grandia II, Sega GT, SNK VS. Capcom, Samba De Amigo, Daytona USA 2001, NBA2K1, NFL2K1, Virtua Tennis, Metropolis Street Racer, Phantasy Star Online and Quake III (probably more that I can't think of right now).

Dreamcast is the best system to own now (value wise) if for whatever reason you can only own one. If you can own more then one the PS2 is also a ggod system, all be it one with very few must have games right now (this will change soon with the release of Dark Cloud, NBA Live 2001, The Bouncer, GT3, Onimusha, Zone Of The Enders plus more I can't remember right now).

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-02-01, 10:05 AM
Cool New Member

I too own both systems, and each has its ups and downs. But I think the number one reason to own a Dreamcast is its ablity to play "burnt" games. Need I say more.
Old 01-02-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well first of all the merger is OFFICIALLY dead in the water, I just read a news article that I'm too lazy to link too, but I think it was on Etown.com. But that would have been a debastating team-up. They are two of the GREATEST software developers, forget systems. And I doubt the Gamecube is going to get punished for being ONLY a gaming system. Don't you know that almost ANYTHING multi-purpose sucks?? HELLO tv/vcr combos?? I'm buying a GAMING system, I don't want the thing to be able to control the lighting in my friggin house. I'm GLAD someone is focusing on the GAMES!!!! And I'm sick of people saying Nintendo makes kiddy games. They are GOOD, who cares if they don't have blood. And to the comment about burned games. Man I hate that, because you will be the first to complain if that system goes under. God knows Sega needs the software revenue to keep from drowning, don't KILL a good system.
Old 01-03-01, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Save some cash and pick up a dreamcast. With Bleemcast (will play PS1 games on Dreamcast) soon to arrive and hundreds of games for the dreamcast (not counting hundreds more imports) in the here and now why pay so much more for the PS2 which is marginally better. The PS2 controllers suck to say the least making gaming completly uncomfortale. $300 freaking bucks and they are to lazy to redesign the controller so it does not look like some god awful thing from the 80's. The PS2 will be completely obsolete just like the dreamcast in about a year when Nintendo and Microsoft come to market anyway. Why waste the time and money to get a PS2 when dreamcast games are plentiful and cheap. You alreay own a DVD player better than the PS2 (It would not take much) more than likely if you come to this site so steer clear until the prices fall at least.
Old 01-03-01, 02:20 AM

cloud:

I'd like to add Jet Grind Radio to your list of DC hits.
Old 01-03-01, 02:38 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by M i c h a e l:

I'll tell you one thing, the N64 is a long
way off from PS2.

A pic is worth a thousand words, IMHO:

Real-time screen shot of DOA2 for PS2

<HR>
Michael it looks like she ripped the crotch out of her pants. Ahh, a true blonde!

Old 01-03-01, 04:19 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by speedyray:
Save some cash and pick up a dreamcast. With Bleemcast (will play PS1 games on Dreamcast) soon to arrive and hundreds of games for the dreamcast (not counting hundreds more imports) in the here and now why pay so much more for the PS2 which is marginally better. The PS2 controllers suck to say the least making gaming completly uncomfortale. $300 freaking bucks and they are to lazy to redesign the controller so it does not look like some god awful thing from the 80's. The PS2 will be completely obsolete just like the dreamcast in about a year when Nintendo and Microsoft come to market anyway. Why waste the time and money to get a PS2 when dreamcast games are plentiful and cheap. You alreay own a DVD player better than the PS2 (It would not take much) more than likely if you come to this site so steer clear until the prices fall at least.
<HR>

Talk about sheer ignorance. I am sick and tired of people comparing the Dreamcast and the PS2. It's like comparing a two year old apple (Dreamcast) to a nine month old orange (PS2). The PS2 is a dam site more powerful then the Dreamcast. The only reason why the games are better on the Dreamcast and look similar to PS2 games is because it's been out longer. The PS2 has a lot more potential and will show it later this year with games like GT3, The Bouncer, Dark Cloud, Z.O.E., MGS amongst others. Another thing people seem to forget is that the PS2 is DVD based and as a result costs more to manufacture then the Dreamcast. It therefore has a higher capacity, the ability to have shorter load times (for DVD based games) and play DVD movies all be it not quite as good as stand alone players but acceptable never the less. They are both good systems and both worth owning if you can have both. The Dreamcast is overall a better value if you want a game system now and can only get one. If you are prepared to wait then the PS2 will not only come down in price eventually but will start getting more must have games.

------------------

Old 01-03-01, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by speedyray:
<HR>

There is nothing wrong with the PS2 controllers....

Quality Dreamcast games are NOT plentiful and no the PS2 will not be obsolete by next fall!!! If you can come back with a logical review or opinion I will listen.....

BTW....I also have a Dreamcast and at the present time 3 games as I feel none else are worth having.....

RE Code Name
Shenmue
Skies Of Arcadia
And soon....Half-Life

Hmmmm.....I believe I am playing FFIX on the PS2.
Anyone playing their old Sega Saturn games on the Dreamcast???

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited January 03, 2001).]