DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD and surround

Old 12-29-00, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought Kenwoods XD-DV9 DVD compact HIFI system with surround speakers.
Tried many movies and I'm more than happy with video quality and the sound
on main frontL and Right. BUt I'm disappointed in surround speakers.
I read the manual and set the dolby pro logic and speakers but when watching movie I
don't get enough (or am I expecting to much) sound on surround speakers- I
have set the volume on them on max but only hear sound sometimes- like when
the chopoper is flying above me or the storm ... not all the time! When there is music(movie)I can't get it loud enough.
Once again -am I expecting to much or I am missing something?
What about playing music CD? Like new Santana's album- should I hear music
on surround speakers or not?
Thanks for any help!
Old 12-29-00, 11:17 AM

Well, you said it yourself. You have Pro Logic sound, not Dolby Digital. You can toggle the settings on your receiver to get sound coming from all the speakers, but none of them will have their own seperate sound channel. I believe that the rear surround speakers are mono. Mess with it til you get a sound setting that you like.

Jesse
Old 12-29-00, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First of all is this system DD5.1 capable or just pro logic. If it is pro logic you will not get true discreet surround but matrixed surround.

Secondly, music CD's do not benefit from surround sound unless they are encoded in it. There are a few CD's out their which have DTS doundtracks and these will benefit from surround capability.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-30-00, 02:09 AM

From the manual:"this system incorporates several listen modes to let you enjoy sound with wide variety of program sources.Each produces multiple channels of surround sound, but each does it differently:
-dolby digital
-dolby pro logic
-dolby 3 stereo "
In the manual there is a few pages for Dolby pro logic setup but nothing for Dolby digital setup.Do I need to do any Dolby digital setup or no?

At this moment my son comes to tell me that DVD wont play! When disk is inserted ( or all 3 ) it will show LOADING, then PLAY and when play starts and shows 0h:00:00 it will say STOP and OPEN- oppening the tray???
This is happenning on any disk(1,2 or 3)- and with the DVDs I watched in the past 7 days. It still plays audio CD in the tray.
What's going on?
Old 12-30-00, 05:19 PM

Dolby Digital does not neccessarily mean surround sound. DD can be 1.0 mono, 2.0 stereo, 5.0, 5.1 etc. Therefore it may be compatible with the mono and stereo modes but mat not be compatible with the 5.0 and 5.1 discreet surround modes. DD is just a form of decoding and may or may not be in surround sound.

i checked Kenwoods web site but did not see this model anywhere. Is it a US model?

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-01-01, 08:09 PM

Happy new Year !

In answer to your question it'a Australian.
Old 01-03-01, 05:41 AM

Looks like the XD-DV9 does have surround capabilities.

Are you making sure the DVD movies are set to DD5.1 or DTS. Some DVD's default to DD2.0 stereo. You have to go into the DVD movies audio options menu and make sure that DD5.1 or DTS are checked. This might be the problem.

------------------