Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HD Ready vs. HD Upgradable

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HD Ready vs. HD Upgradable

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-01, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm just confused here, but what's the difference between a HD ready tv and a HD upgradable tv? I saw a recent ad of Good Guys, and they have a HD upgradable tv of few inches larger about a grand less than a smaller hd ready tv. Maybe it's just the different brands, but $1000 is a lot just a brand name considering both are brand names. Anyways, if there is actually a difference, it would be great if someone could fill me in on it. Thanks.
Old 01-02-01, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDTV has the decoder built in and can receive
and display HDTV now. An upgradable will require a separate box. My advice would be to
buy an upgradable now.
Old 01-02-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Actually it sounds like both tv's are the same in that they BOTH are upgradeable. Any tv that is marketed as HD-ready is one WITHOUT the decoder built in.
Old 01-02-01, 10:03 PM

How many TVs today Actually have the decoder built in? Most I see are HDTV-ready.
Old 01-02-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Toshiba DW65X91, which is a true HDTV. It's very similar to the TW65X81 except it has all the decoders & DirecTv equipment built-in. I'm not sure, but I think it has more than one decoder- one for satellite HD signals & another for the antennas. I loved being ready for any kind of HD signals I could get. Also, this way I didn't have to worry about any kind of compability issues or have to have a huge tv plus other equipment on top of it. I get the 2 DirecTv HD channels, plus local CBS, ABC, & FOX with the antenna (I'd have to turn it for NBC, but they only have Tonight Show now anyway). People say there's not enough available to make it worth it, but almost half the shows we watch are in 16x9 HD. All of CBS' non-news shows are. About half of FOX is, but mostly only weekend movies on ABC. The Broncos-Ravens game was in HD, plus the rest of the AFC playoffs & Super Bowl. And when I switch between the regular station & the HD station there is definitely just more on the sides and no matting done for the 16x9. Even the openings/songs of the shows have more picture. I think more newer models are coming fully-loaded. I'd pay the extra to see what few others are currently seeing. With all the new network HD commercials & the increase just from last season in HD programming, I don't think it'll be too much longer till everything's that way.
Old 01-02-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't know if I would go with a TRUE HD set right now if only because of the way the Pioneer rep explained it to me. He said most companies don't build them in right now because of the EXTREMELY high price of the decoder sets. He said that that when you actually NEED the decoder box the prices will have dropped drastically and you will be GUARANTEED the compatible equipment. Plus he said Pioneer decoder boxes pretty much suck, so that could be another reason for his view.
Old 01-03-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

El Kabong
Don't feel to lucky that you have a built-in decoder or that your TV is superior because of it! The fact of the matter is if the 8VSB standard changes you are screwed! You can't just buy a external box because you are stuck with the internal decoder(and good luck trying to get Toshiba to swap out the decoder for a new one)! Also considering you paid probably $1500 or more for the built-in decoder which is the only difference between the DW & TW series you should in fact be a bit pissed as the TW series owners can pay $600 for a DTC100 or DISH 6000 and get the same Satellite & OTA reception and only need to buy a replacement box if the standards change or if the decoders dies!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited January 02, 2001).]
Old 01-03-01, 12:20 AM

I'm just really confused right now on what TV I get. But I know I will get a new TV soon. My current tv has a bad bulb or something, and is making everything off color. The white is pink and such. Most salesmen I talk to tell me things that contradict things other salsmen I've talked to. Too many good sets to choose from, everytime I see something I like, I also see a better set for just a 'little' more money. I'm not very good at setting a max price for myself, I just want to get the best tv for the best price. I don't know whether to go with hdtv, or a more expensive wega. People I know who own hd say you can't really tell the difference, but people who own wega say the difference is there. I can tell the difference when I see it in a store, but I'm not sure if I will be able to (I might not even mind the difference) once owning and viewing the set for an extended period of time. I also would love to have a 16:9 tv, but for the extra cash, I could get a larger 4:3 of equal price. Anyone want to try and help me? I'm trying to pick up a new tv while there are after x-mas sales everywhere.
Old 01-03-01, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>People I know who own hd say you can't really tell the difference<HR>

These people are either blind or have never seen true HD!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment