DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help, if you please

Old 01-01-01, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there! I need some help, if you please. I am getting a divorce and got stuck with the cruddy electronic stuff. My tv is the older type with only the cable connection on the back. I have a satellite dish, vcr and dvd. I couldn't run the dvd through the vcr because of the color distortion (macrovision?), so I picked up a RF Modulator. OK, now, do I connect the rf modulator to the vcr with a splitter along with the satellite dish or do I connect up on the other side of the vcr? I know quality will be poor, but for the time being, this is what I have to work with. I appreciate any assistance you give.

[This message has been edited by donchka (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 01-01-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not really sure how to help you, but I will bump this up just incase some one else can.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-02-01, 12:10 AM

To the best of my knowledge, you have to place the RF modulator on the out side of the VCR.

I am not 100% sure on this, though.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

The Widescreen FAQ
My Home Theater
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 01-02-01, 12:15 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Don't you get an RF modulator so you don't have to go through your VCR? It would just go into the TV as a cable input. Using a splitter would make things slightly easier with your satellite connection if you have only one cable input into your TV.
Old 01-02-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SAT to VCR to RF MODULATOR to TV would be my suggestion.
Old 01-02-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same setup before I bought a new TV.

You should use what I call a "combiner" (don't use a splitter reversed) to combine your off-air antenna and your satelite signal. This will be on a co-ax, send it to the VCR. If you do not have an off-air antenna just hook your satellite up to your VCR. Connect the VCR (which is also carrying the satelite and off-air antenna) to the RF modulator using a co-ax cable.

Connect the DVD to the RF modulator using component video connection, if this is not available then use whatever connection you have.

Send the RF modulator to the TV.

Note that I didn't include a receiver in the system. If you want to, use a separate cable to take the audio from the DVD player to the receiver, then back to the RF modulator.

Save up and buy a new TV (at least 27") with component inputs, you can buy a nice one for between $300 and $400. Wait until after the divorce, of course. A nice TV will be useful once you get back onto the dating scene.
Old 01-02-01, 11:59 PM

Thanks to everyone. I now have the "system" (lol) set up.