Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

About Upscaling...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
About Upscaling...

Here's one of these questions I've always wanted to ask. I've heard the term "upscaling" for years, but I'm not sure how to tell if this is going on or not. I have an older Sony Blu-ray player I'll soon be replacing (probably with a 4K) and a newer Samsung 4K TV. Should I assume both devices are upscaling the images that are passing through them automatically, -an internal process activated just by my putting the disc in the drive or turning on the set? I mean, I've never "set" anything to upscale a disc (DVD, Blu-ray), -I assume it's just going on. Am I right in this, or is there a step I need to take to ensure this.
Old 02-20-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: About Upscaling...

If you go to the HDMI output resolution in the menu, you have the option of outputting the signal as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. The resolution you have selected is the resolution your player will upscale to. If you're playing a DVD and have this set to 720p and you have it hooked up to a 1080p HDTV, it will only upscale to 720p.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, they both upscale.

The blu-ray player will upscale a DVD to 1080p (or 2160p if it’s a UHD player), and the HDTV will upscale a 480i/p or 720p signal to 1080p.

Unless you’ve changed I/O settings on your devices, you should be upscaling DVDs to HD. Keep in mind, however, that upscaling doesn’t make your DVDs high definition, it just smooths and interpolates the image to improve the quality. It can’t bring out more detail than already exists on the transfer.
Old 02-26-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
If you go to the HDMI output resolution in the menu, you have the option of outputting the signal as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. The resolution you have selected is the resolution your player will upscale to. If you're playing a DVD and have this set to 720p and you have it hooked up to a 1080p HDTV, it will only upscale to 720p.

Hope this helps!
My player had the option of 1080p resolution or "Auto" (I'm not where I can check it right now) and I had chosen "Auto" thinking that was the correct choice. Apparently not. I can now see the resolution is much smoother on DVDs. I don't see any similar option on my 4K TV, just general settings for the image. Is there something I'm missing. Note: I'm not expecting miracles, -I know the limitations, -but I also want to maximize what I have and not miss anything.
Old 02-26-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

If you have a somewhat nice TV, you are better off letting the TV do the upscaling rather than the blu-ray player. On my Sony UHD player you can turn 4K upscaling off and disc signals will be sent to the TV in their native resolution.