DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap RCA Projector

Old 07-23-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cheap RCA Projector

The other day I found an ad in the local flyer for an RCA projector, model RPJ116 for $99.99.

I've been thinking about a projector for a few years now but never pulled the trigger. Most of the ones I was looking at were in $400-$600 range.

What the heck, for $100 I'll give this one a try and to my surprise, it's actually pretty good.

It's LED and boasts the bulb will last 50,000 hours.

HDMI connectivity.

It's very small and portable.

Claims to be 1080p but the native resolution is 800 X 480. Basically it will accept a 1080p feed but will down-res it.

The fan noise is excessive but tolerable.

It should only be used in completely darkened conditions. The picture is very faint even with ambient light.

I was surprised how good it made my standard def DVDs look in comparison to my HDTV. I took one of the lesser quality DVDs in my collection, Final Analysis (early full screen), and it looked better than I have ever seen it look on my HDTV. The mosquito-noise pixelation seemed to disappear and it just looked more film-like and pleasing to the eyes.

Last edited by orangerunner; 10-01-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 09:53 AM

Re: Cheap RCA Projector

What was the local store ad? Was it Walmart?
Old 07-23-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For Western Canadian buyers, it's at London Drugs for $99.99. In the US, I've heard it's been available at Wal-Mart for a few months now.
Old 04-11-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently Epson is in the process of suing Curtis and Technicolor (RCA) for their exaggerated claims of 2,000 lumens for their value-line of RCA projectors.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-lumens-claims

I have the RCA RPJ116 model which Epson claims only 32 lumens based on their testing. I also have a Sanyo projector with 5,000 lumens and based on my comparisons, there's no way the RCA projector only has 32 lumens. I agree the packaging is misleading as it shows a family watching the screen in a brightly lit living room but it's certainly bright enough in a completely dark room.