Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about main and surround speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about main and surround speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-00, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, this is a really dumb question, but I'm new to HT. Can main speakers be used as surrounds and vice versa? Like, can I use 4 identical speakers as my 2 mains and 2 surrounds? Thanks.
Old 12-28-00, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes, absolutely you can.
Old 12-28-00, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you can. But using direct-radiating (this is what most main and center speakers are) speakers for your surround give you a very small "sweet spot"

For surrounds, you are much better off going with bi-pole or di-pole. These create a more diffused sound field, which is much more natural. It sounds MUCH better for surrounds, and give a much more "theatrical" feel, similar to having a whole wall of speakers to the side and behind you, like in most theaters.
Old 12-28-00, 04:04 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaun3000:
For surrounds, you are much better off going with bi-pole or di-pole. These create a more diffused sound field, which is much more natural. It sounds MUCH better for surrounds, and give a much more "theatrical" feel, similar to having a whole wall of speakers to the side and behind you, like in most theaters.
<HR>

I know this was true for Dolby Pro Logic, but don't they say that direct radiating is ok for DD and DTS now?

-David
Old 12-28-00, 04:10 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaun3000:
Yes, you can. But using direct-radiating (this is what most main and center speakers are) speakers for your surround give you a very small "sweet spot"

<HR>

I don't agree on this. It depends on your room: if your room is large and you have place for b/dipoles then go for it but sometimes they can sound WORSE than direct radiators ('normal' speakers) if not properly setup. Besides, it also dependes on the budget since normal speakers are more affordable.

The best thing to do though is stick to one brand: buy nice mains and center while you can save some $ on surrounds (as long as they match the mains/center). Of course spending MORE on surrounds isn't a bad thing but if your low on budget concentrate on the front three.
Old 12-28-00, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blade:
I know this was true for Dolby Pro Logic, but don't they say that direct radiating is ok for DD and DTS now?

-David
<HR>

Direct radiators are definitely 'ok' for surround use, and as for di-polars sounding MUCH better, well that is purely a matter of personal opinion, room size and acoustics.

Back on topic, (IMHO) identical, full-range speakers for mains and surround channels is the way to go. While this may not be feasable for everyone, it will assure you that you are getting a true timbre-matched set of speakers that can handle the full range of today's film soundtracks. The opinions on what exactly is 'full-range' varies, but if your speakers can't touch 40hz at reference level, they aren't full range. But that's a whole 'nother thread altogether.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Miami Dolphins: AFC Champs 2000.
Old 12-29-00, 04:56 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD_O_Rama,

Thanks. That sounds more like how I understood the current state of surround speaker selections.

-David