Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Scary Movie - JVC XV501bk

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Scary Movie - JVC XV501bk

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-00, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got Scary movie and it won't play on my JVC XV501bk player. I exchanged the disc at the store for a new on and that one doesn't work either. I guess this disc doesn't like my player. I remember that there was an issue with Cruel Intentions DVD on this model, but everything since then works fine.
Anyone else have any problems? I wonder if there is a firmware upgrade from JVC that will help. I never bothered to take my player in when I had problems with Cruel Intentions. I couldn't bare to be without my player for any length of time!!!
Old 12-18-00, 10:53 PM

hi

i got a similar problem with my jvc 701. cruel intentions wouldn't play on mine either btw.

disc 1 of the beatsie boys criterion set does not play on my player. disc 2 works fine, but not disc 1. i just emailed criterion about it.

any word from jvc on this? gotta be the 'code' again.

later sam
Old 12-19-00, 12:18 PM

Lull, Disc 1 of the Beasties doesn't work on my 701 either. Luckily I'm finally getting rid of that heap of junk this Christmas.
Old 12-19-00, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

My JVC 501 won't play Scary Movie or Tom Green discs. I have Beastie Boys 2 disc but have not tried it out. Typically, JVC builds pretty good stuff but I am a bit disappointed with their DVD players.

Are there any numbers or websites to voice the problem at?

------------------
"The Internet!? Is that thing still around" -Homer Simpson
Old 12-19-00, 02:58 PM

This sucks. I wanted to see this! They better let me exchange it at the store. I wonder if JVC is ever going to fix this.

I love waiting for the next big movie, and then wondering if I'll even be able to watch it.
Old 12-26-00, 02:04 AM

I have the same problem Carl. Fortunately I have 2 players. It works fine on my Apex, so it is definitely a hardware issue. I have not tried the fix below. I discovered it when the Cruel Intentions problem was discovered. Let me know if you are successful! Good Luck!

Glenn

rec.video.dvd.titles newsgroup had a post from MLEB67 ([email protected]) recently that showed how to fix the JVC player by pressing some buttons and unplugging and plugging in the machine. It was posted in the past couple of days. I don't have the player, but here's a copy of the post:
Here's the solution!!!
1.Turn on the player. Press the ON SCREEN and TITLE buttons (on the unit) at the same time.
2. Now continuing to keep these two buttons pressed, UNPLUG your player (might need a partner). While continuing to keep these buttons pressed PLUG in you player.
3. Buttons still pressed. A MESSAGE will appear in the display that reads: TEST JC3. Now release the ON SCREEN and TITLE buttons and PRESS the ENTER button on the player (A round button above on screen and title). At this point a little RED light will appear under the RESUME on the upper right side of the display screen on the player.
4. If this happens...Turn off the unit at the power button. Wait a moment and then turn it back on again.
5. Place a DVD into the player (NOT CRUEL INTENTIONS!!!) And it should play fine.
6. Return your Cruel Intentions DVD where you bought it. We'll have to wait until they repair this DVD before we can watch it or own it I guess. Have a great day and THANKS to RALPH at JVC for the help!!!!
Good luck!!

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Carl:
I just got Scary movie and it won't play on my JVC XV501bk player. I exchanged the disc at the store for a new on and that one doesn't work either. I guess this disc doesn't like my player. I remember that there was an issue with Cruel Intentions DVD on this model, but everything since then works fine.
Anyone else have any problems? I wonder if there is a firmware upgrade from JVC that will help. I never bothered to take my player in when I had problems with Cruel Intentions. I couldn't bare to be without my player for any length of time!!!
<HR>

Old 12-26-00, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this problem on one of my players (Samsung 709). It wouldn't get past the FBI warning screen.

Worked fine on the Sony downstairs though.

------------------
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful!
Old 12-26-00, 09:51 AM
SGP

My advice is to stay away from JVC DVD players if u can. These players for some reason cannot tolerate dvds with a slight defect. However other brands like Sony & Panasonic have designed their players to tolerate very minor defects in the manufacturing of the DVDs.

I bought the 701 before and I was angry to find out that 2 of my dvds could not be played at all. SO I returned it and got the Panasonic A320. There were no problems in playing any kind of discs after that.

[This message has been edited by SGP (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-27-00, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have one of those very rare 701s that works almost all of the time. From time to time it will only respond to a select few commands from the remote until it runs for awhile. But so many people are having the same problems that I had with my first 701, it's a wonder that JVC hasn't looked me up to see what it might have accidentally done correctly.

------------------
Caffeine free? Why bother?