Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PS2 DVD questions (please help if you've used the DVD function)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS2 DVD questions (please help if you've used the DVD function)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-00, 10:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there,
First off, I just want to agree with what others are saying about the lack of quality with the PS2's DVD playback. While it is definitely sharper than VHS, it does not look as good as my standalone Sony S330 model...even with an s-video cable.

Anyway, I was messing around with the DVD capabilities this afternoon and noticed a few strange things that I just wanted to make sure were normal. I have a tendency to sometimes think that I'm the only one in the USA who got a machine full of bugs. So...

1. When I reset the DVD player with a movie in it, the screen displays white horizontal bars in several vertical columns across the screen. This flashes on for just a minute and then goes away. I just don't know why it does this when the games reset without any images popping up. Anybody else?

2. Every time I try to watch AMERICAN BEAUTY, the machine prompts me for a parental password and asks me if I'd like to temporarily suspend the child lock feature. However, I never set this feature to begin with. I entered a password and retyped it to set the confirmation. I even turned the "level" setting in the control panel to "off." But, the minute I reset my machine, all the settings are lost and I have to enter and confirm a new password all over again. How do I bypass this parental lock feature and get the PS2 to remember my password all the time? Another disc I tried went straight into the movie and didn't ask for a password, but I think it's more kid-friendly...TOY STORY.

3. Finally, a question here about turning on the player with a DVD in the machine. I would think that it would recognize the movie and immediately jump into playing. However, it goes to the first menu screen that says "browser" on it and the words flash up there for just a second before the film begins to start. This is not that big of a deal, but the PS2 games start immediately and show the "Playstation 2" screen.

Can you guys shed some light on my situation and tell me if this stuff is normal so that I'll quit worrying and go back to enjoying SSX? Thanks for the help.

Jason
[email protected]
Old 10-27-00, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Doesn't happen to me.

2) If you read your instructions ( ), it show how to change that. The default is set to level 1. Just hit select after you have a DVD in to bring up the little menu onscreen. In the setup, you can change the level of control to it's highest and not have to worry about it any more.

3) If you put the DVD in immediatly after opening\turning on the player, it will automatically play.
Old 10-27-00, 09:46 AM
Cool New Member

Cartman,

I DID read the instruction manual. I know how to turn off the parental lock in the control panel, but the problem is that the settings are not saved. When I come back and turn on the PS2 later, it has gone back to "level 1." How to I make the settings stay on "off."?

Jason
[email protected]
Old 10-27-00, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Spirellae:
Cartman,

I DID read the instruction manual. I know how to turn off the parental lock in the control panel, but the problem is that the settings are not saved. When I come back and turn on the PS2 later, it has gone back to "level 1." How to I make the settings stay on "off."?

Jason
[email protected]
<HR>

First, my comment about the instructions had a , so I was kidding! It should automatically save the info after you change the settings. Mine saved the info and works fine... maybe (and I know this would REALLY suck) you got a defective PS2 .
Old 10-27-00, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
this is possibly a dumb response, but do you have a memory card in? However, I would assume it would save those settings internally (Like the DC does.)

There is a "secret" way to reset the Dreamcast to factory default, is there a way to do that on the PS2?

So if it saves it to the card (which doesn't make sense, but I thought I would offer it) maybe that's the problem, or maybe you can reset it, or maybe it's defective (wouldn't THAT suck.)

------------------
"Can I finish? Can I finish? ...Okay, I'm finished." - South Park, Bigger, Longer and Uncut
Old 10-27-00, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Okay, I fixed it...

When I originally put in a locked DVD, it would ask me if I'd like to temporarily disable the feature so I could watch the movie. I'd answer yes and then try to go in and change the parental controls.

However, I think that because it was in a "temporary" setting at the time, that's why it kept swapping back.

So, I put in a kid's DVD and let it play normally, since it doesn't need to do the temporary unlock feature. Then I went into the control panel and changed the lock to "off." Now it works fine. Strange, but it's working so I'm happy. Thanks for the help.

Jason
Old 10-27-00, 04:11 PM

There is a REGION selection in the Parental Control menu: has anyone determined what this does?

I find it hard to believe they would make the region selectable since th Japan machine had tons of fur flying about that: but this selection looks like a region SELECT.

Anyone know, or have any "other region" discs to check it out?

-Vince
Old 12-25-00, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Vince Maskeeper:
There is a REGION selection in the Parental Control menu: has anyone determined what this does?

Anyone know, or have any "other region" discs to check it out?
<HR>

I was just going to ask that, and did a search and found this post, but no answers. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Old 12-25-00, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by scott27:
I was just going to ask that, and did a search and found this post, but no answers. Does anyone know? Thanks.

<HR>

I very much highly doubt that Sony would have included region selection in the PS2. First the film industry/studios would not allow it. Second, they already had a fiasco with the original launch units in Japan where by entering a code they could play back R1 DVD's. This was soon fixed.

I am assuming the region selection as it is listed under parental control probably has to do with the fact that different countries have different rating systems for films. As this model is only for use in the US and Canada I am not sure why this would have to be included any way.

In any case I would not keep you hopes up.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.