Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

best dvd player deal

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-00, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to buy a Sony or Panasonic DVD player and was wondering what the best deal was right now. Reading some other posts, I know you guys are the experts so I hope I can find a good deal. I know about the Panasonic on amazon for 129, is that the best deal currently?

Thanks
Old 12-24-00, 12:42 AM

hey man dont bother with panasonics...Horrible customer service if something should go wrong with your player... which will mostly likely happen.... like the a110.
Old 12-24-00, 12:52 AM

Hi,

I have a High end Panasonic DVD player and just ordered the following:

http://www.dealcatcher.com/frame.asp?m=4&c=3589

I had another $150 Amazon from the MCI deal and applied the $50 off $200 and get a $50 rebate. The way I see it, I am getting paid about $4 to take it off their hands. I do feel the Pioneer that is about the same price is a better player after reading the descriptions. It has a better warranty and plays CDRs.

Hope this helps.

btw. This thread will get moved to the Hardware forum as soon as the mod sees it. This forum is for DVD deals not DVD player deals.

------------------
Jennifer3

If the first button of one's coat is wrongly buttoned, all the rest will be crooked.

Hey! It's a Start?
Old 12-25-00, 01:04 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Catch 21:
hey man dont bother with panasonics...Horrible customer service if something should go wrong with your player... which will mostly likely happen.... like the a110.
<HR>

The a110 was just a bad model for Panasonic's line of DVD players. The RV30 is a great player and probably the best deal around for the price.
Old 12-25-00, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Catch 21:
<HR>

Obviously you had problems with the A110.....I have not and can tell you that this is one hell of a player as Robert George stated in his review back in 1998!!! He compared this player to the high end Sony players stating in his opinion this player was slightly below the Sonys in quality!! I would strongly agree with him. All companies have bad players here and there...look at Toshiba!!! They have had multiple problems as documented here on the forum yet people still purchase their players.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-25-00, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Parsec:

The a110 was just a bad model for Panasonic's line of DVD players. The RV30 is a great player and probably the best deal around for the price.
<HR>

Bad model in what way.....and I am not talking about a player which broke down on you or anyone else!!! This player is not a bad player....I have had my A110 since it was first released!! This player was so highly touted in the beginning it was hard to find in stock upon it's release.

Here is his(Robert George) review....

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/Panasonic_DVD/

An excerpt from his concluding paragraph...

"The video performance is nothing short of astounding. Until someone else proves otherwise, as far as I’m concerned, the DVD-A110 is THE player to beat at anywhere near it’s pricepoint ($499 retail). If you think DVD looks good, you’re wrong. It looks
GREAT. At least it does from my seat."

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 25, 2000).]
Old 12-25-00, 01:22 PM

I must defend the honour of my Toshiba DVD Player ! I have had the 2109 for over a year and half, I have played over 300 DVDs on it with no problem. The only DVD's that will not work are Dragons Lair II and Space Ace (i think it has something to do with the remotes response time not being quick enough, thus you get killed all the time).
I think every make had problems in the earlier generations (Sony's lipsink problem), however most bugs have been worked out. If you want to talk about cheap players, lets discuss the Walmart special -- Oritron !
Old 12-25-00, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by spinbot:
I must defend the honour of my Toshiba DVD Player ! I have had the 2109 for over a year and half, I have played over 300 DVDs on it with no problem. The only DVD's that will not work are Dragons Lair II and Space Ace (i think it has something to do with the remotes response time not being quick enough, thus you get killed all the time).
I think every make had problems in the earlier generations (Sony's lipsink problem), however most bugs have been worked out. If you want to talk about cheap players, lets discuss the Walmart special -- Oritron !
<HR>

Now you are forcing me to defend Oritron...well....on second thought...no I won't!!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 12-25-00, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sony all the way!

------------------
Mark Jones
"When the president says your name on national tv in anger, you know the sh!t has hit the fan" -Ice T

MarkleeJones.Com
Old 12-25-00, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

drodale,

If you're in the market for a Panasonic DVD Player, here's your best deal:

$229.99 Panasonic DVD-RV30 from Amazon.com
-$50 off $200 Promotional Coupon Code AMZN-ELECTRNC
-$50 rebate
========================
$129.99

and I must also defend the honor of my Toshiba, I've owned an SD2109 and SD1200 and both have served me well.
Old 12-25-00, 03:19 PM

The fiasco with the Panasonic A110 just rubs me the wrong way. With all those failures with the laser or optical assembly, you would expect a company like Panasonic to say that they screwed up and they will fix it. But, not Panasonic....thus all these A110 owners were left with either a non-working component or an expensive repair bill. This is the reason why I won't support Panasonic...especially their DVD players no matter how "good" they are reputed to be.

As for Toshiba, I have been a happy SD2108 owner for the most part. Although they do have a few problems with some discs, I would consider this minor as compared with the Panasonic A110 failures.

Currently, if I was buying a DVD player, I would probably go with the Pioneer 333. It plays CD-R's and CD-RW's and has better downconversion than the Toshiba's.

Dave
Old 12-25-00, 05:03 PM

I had two, yep. two of the A110's bite the dust, within weeks of one another. Had both of them repaired (laser), and both proceeded to die within 6 months again.

I bought the Pana 30 from Amazon and it still is sitting in the box. I have two Toshibas working just fine.

What to do....

Sam
Old 12-25-00, 08:32 PM
Registered

Moving to Home Theater Hardware Forum.

Geoff