Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What big-screen should I get?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What big-screen should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-00, 11:08 PM
RaZorBlade

I'm getting a big-screen TV, but I'd like some advice on which one to get.

I don't know all that much about them, but I'd like something that has a good size, good quality, and also is not too expensive.

This rules out HDTV, because they are really expensive for screens that are not that big.

It will be going in our theatre, which is about 40 feet long, and we can position the chairs anywhere.

So, have any advice on what I should get?

Thanks
-Sam
Old 12-20-00, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTVs are not that big because they have their top and bottom cropped off.

HAHA OK I'm just being stupid, don't mind me

Old 12-21-00, 12:38 AM
RaZorBlade

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dodobird:
HDTVs are not that big because they have their top and bottom cropped off.

HAHA OK I'm just being stupid, don't mind me

<HR>

Old 12-21-00, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi makes the best big screens. Buy a Diamond or Platinum series.
Old 12-21-00, 01:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by gross@iastate:
Mitsubishi makes the best big screens. Buy a Diamond or Platinum series.
<HR>

I think most knowledgeable people would disagree with you on that statement. They are good, depending on the medium you're watching, but not at all the best for any and definitely not the best for all.

RaZorBlade - When you say "rules out HDTV" are you talking about direct view single-tube models -- TV's? Most RPTV's now are HDTV-ready and HDTV-capable, very few single-tube sets are full resolution HDTV-capable even though they may take HDTV input.

What's your price range? What will you be watching? What kind of DVD player do you have? Would you sacrifice quality for size?
Old 12-21-00, 01:19 PM
RaZorBlade

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
I think most knowledgeable people would disagree with you on that statement. They are good, depending on the medium you're watching, but not at all the best for any and definitely not the best for all.

RaZorBlade - When you say "rules out HDTV" are you talking about direct view single-tube models -- TV's? Most RPTV's now are HDTV-ready and HDTV-capable, very few single-tube sets are full resolution HDTV-capable even though they may take HDTV input.

What's your price range? What will you be watching? What kind of DVD player do you have? Would you sacrifice quality for size?
<HR>

Price range - around $3000
DVD player - Pioneer DV-525

Quality vs. Size - I guess I would sacrifice some size for quality, but not too much since the room is very long and we'd like the screen to be as large as possible with pretty good quality.

And when I said it rules out HDTV, I was referring to those 34 inch ones that run for like $6000.

But if you know of some other cheaper and bigger HDTVs, that would be even better.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by RaZorBlade (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-00, 01:49 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Well, your DVD player isn't progressive so you either need a player that is or an HDTV with a good line doubler. If you plan on watching 80+% with that HDTV it would probably be cheaper getting a progressive player and a set with a less-good doubler, or no doubler at all (does any decent HDTV not have one?). Progressive input bypasses the line doubler.

I'm assuming you want a 16x9? And your dollar amount is Canadian, isn't it? I'm not going to be able to help you much in that price range, but I think you're looking at 40 to 46 inch RPTV sets, Toshiba (which I'm not recommending -- not necessarily recommending against, just not recommending) or lower-end Mitsubishi. However, you wouldn't want to sit more than 10 feet away from that size set. You might also look at the non-Elite line of Pioneer and see what kind of deal you can get on their 53 inch. I have the Elite, which is great, and expensive, but I'm always impressed by the non-Elite models I see in stores too.

If your theater is able to be really darkened, you might also check out projectors. You could start with a used or lower quality projector and trade up as you can afford it. That would give you the largest possible image for the price.

Perhaps others have suggestions?