Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD player scam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-00, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to your forum so please forgive me if this topic has been addressed already. I ordered a DVD player from E-Commerce, model 8050+ which is supposed to play just about everything from MP3's to VCD's. It was supposed to be shipped in 10-15 days and after 30 days I'm wondering if it's really a scam. Does anyone know if this a realy unit or just a scam?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 12-19-00, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
There is an online store forum at this site where you'll likely have better luck finding your answer. Is the site called ecomerce.com? FWIW most DVD players sold today play VCDs although the pictuer quality is often close to VCR quality and longer movies are on two discs. A few players out there now play MP3s the Apex is on and I think hifi.com sells one too made by Cambridge Sound Works. check your credit card if you've been charged caontact both the vendor and CC company immediately.

Welcome to the forum and I hope your player arrives soon!
Old 12-19-00, 01:52 PM

The web site was gamedvdplayer.com and they utilize a service called PayPal which charges your credit card immediately. Fortunately, PayPal allows you to submit a "fraud report" within 30 days and I have already done that.

Thanks for your input!

Sean
Old 12-19-00, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you look at the web site it says

quote:<HR>
Due to the over whelming response we have recieved we are currently SOLD OUT of players.

We are now only concentrating on shipping all processed orders out before the Holidays.

If you have already purchased, please be patient. You will recieve your player before Christmas.
<HR>

I would ASSume that the deal is legit but the company sold more than it had and is now running catchup to ensure all previous orders go out before Christmas in order to make their customers happy. It looks like alot of orders have been on hold due to the short supply.

You could call them at 1-800-613-1611 to verify that your order has processed and will be shipped.

It appears as if they are a storefront only site. They may not even really have the merchandise... or at least not a huge supply.

Be patient and call them to give yourself peace of mind.
Old 12-19-00, 02:28 PM

Unfortunately their recording simply says the same thing; they're sold out, call back on January 15th. You cannot speak to anyone as it disconnects after the recording. I have received one email reply to my 4 requests. In the reply it stated I would receive a Fed Ex tracking number within 2 days... that was last Thursday.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 12-19-00, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is 100% a scam...

Sega of America recently filed suit for copyright infringement...

Go over to the Home Theater Forum and do a search for the Dulux player and you will see dozens of accounts of fraud by this firm...

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 12-19-00, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted a link to the maker of the 8050's website, and a picture of the actual item on your other thread (before I saw this one). So, yes, that player does exist, does everything you said (even the MP3 part) and even has Tetris built in, if you can believe that.

But that is not, apparently, the Dulux item. I am not sure where your '8050' reference came from, as that site only seems to show the questionable and possibly scam Dulux item.
Old 12-19-00, 04:37 PM

Wow! You guys are great; and fast too! Yes, the unit in question is Dulux. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my money back. In the mean time, I'll check out the other 8050 player.

Thanks,

Sean