Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

new player - problems?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

new player - problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-00, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recieved an Apex AD660 DVD player for christmas. I also got the movie Gladiator as a gift. During play of the extra DVD, the player pauses, as if it has to catch up with itself. Is this normal? I was told by a salesperson that this is the DVD switching layers and that all players do this. It should be noted that he could have told me it had to do with the heating and melding process and I wouldn't know the difference. Could you help me? Is this a common occurance, a problem with the player, or the DVD itself?
Old 12-17-00, 11:50 PM

It sounds like a layer change to me. Some players handle the transition better than others. I can't remember exactly where the change occurs in Gladiator but I wouldn't worry about your player or disc.

------------------
Go Noles!
>>------>
Old 12-18-00, 12:08 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by wprice:
I just recieved an Apex AD660 DVD player for christmas. I also got the movie Gladiator as a gift. During play of the extra DVD, the player pauses, as if it has to catch up with itself. Is this normal? I was told by a salesperson that this is the DVD switching layers and that all players do this. It should be noted that he could have told me it had to do with the heating and melding process and I wouldn't know the difference. Could you help me? Is this a common occurance, a problem with the player, or the DVD itself?
<HR>

wprice - probably a layer change. I think i read where each side of a DVD can hold approximately 2 hours worth of video/audio, but by putting the information on 2 separate layers, each side can actually hold around 4 hours. When the laser reaches the end of the 1st layer, there is a slight (< 2 seconds) pause while the laser finds the 2nd layer. All players do this. I just watched Saving Private Ryan, and the layer change occurs at the 93 minute mark.
Old 12-19-00, 12:32 AM

Some players are better at layer changes than others.
Also, I know that the layer change in Gladiator occurs in the scene where Lucilla is giving Commodus the tonic that she made. Does the pause happen there?
Old 12-19-00, 12:13 PM

The layer change I am talking about happens in the extra DVD with the cutting room scenes. It is not just one pause but a series of about seven within one minute. Has anyone else expereinced this?