Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD RECORDER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-00, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently, I hear rumors of a DVD recorder coming out in 2001. Does anyone have information or details?
Old 12-17-00, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Panasonic just released one on the market for the price of $4,000 big ones!!!!

The blank discs are said to be $35.00....

Give it time.....these prices will have to come down greatly if they wish to continue the dvd success story!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-17-00, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by thespy:
Recently, I hear rumors of a DVD recorder coming out in 2001. Does anyone have information or details?
<HR>

Panasonic has a model that has been out since around August:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=Current_Price

Cost is $2500. Blank DVDs are $30. A couple of other models are coming out in 2001.

Sound & Vision magazine (formally Stereo Review) had a pretty decent article about the future of DVD Recording last month. Basically, there are several competing formats and this fact (coupled with the high prices currently) make it prudent to probably wait a couple of years.

I sure prices will start to get semi-reasonable by Christmas 2002... and a "standard" format may begin to emerge.
Old 12-17-00, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bboisvert:
Panasonic has a model that has been out since around August:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?R estartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=760&pcount=&Product_Id=861386&Sort=Current_Price

Cost is $2500. Blank DVDs are $30. A couple of other models are coming out in 2001.

Sound & Vision magazine (formally Stereo Review) had a pretty decent article about the future of DVD Recording last month. Basically, there are several competing formats and this fact (coupled with the high prices currently) make it prudent to probably wait a couple of years.

I sure prices will start to get semi-reasonable by Christmas 2002... and a "standard" format may begin to emerge.
<HR>

Nice player...progressive scan also!!! Do you really think it will take that long for these prices to come down to say the $500.00 range? This is what I have never understood....they will sell many more players if they would be reasonable in regards to pricing!!! The only people who can afford these are the rich....Robin Hood....where are you???

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-17-00, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but although these DVD recorders support the playback of 5.1 surround sound from pre-recorded off the shelf DVD's they do not allow you to record 5.1 sound when used to burn DVD's, only stereo.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-17-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but although these DVD recorders support the playback of 5.1 surround sound from pre-recorded off the shelf DVD's they do not allow you to record 5.1 sound when used to burn DVD's, only stereo.
<HR>

Wow....that would suck!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 12-17-00, 04:22 PM

I'm gonna have to play the waiting game with these prices. Hopefully, by the time I can afford it, they'll iron out some of the problems to make it a high performance machine.
Old 12-17-00, 08:59 PM

lol, i agree. Robin Hood where are you?
Steal from the rich and give to the poor!
Old 12-18-00, 01:32 AM
Banned

Moving to the Hardware Forum
Old 12-18-00, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
Do you really think it will take that long for these prices to come down to say the $500.00 range?
<HR>

It may take a couple of years for the prices to fall, but even if they fall in the next 6 months I'd wait to see which recording format ultimately becomes the standard (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM)

My guess is that DVD-RW/DVD+RW will win out because (a) you can record more than once on the same DVD and (b) you can play these DVDs in existing players. However, I'm not willing to bet $2500 that it'll win...

Again, anyone who is interested in this topic should definitely seek out the December 2000 issue of Sound&Vision magazine. They review the Panasonic DVD-RAM deck and include a great article about recordable DVD.
Old 12-18-00, 11:37 AM

Although this seems really cool, the recorder that's out now only allows playback on a computer or the recording device itself. No playback on other DVD players.
Old 12-18-00, 02:47 PM
steak

Cloud is right. These current recorders only record in DD 2.0. Not DD 5.1. I would want to wait until the 5.1 recording is available since I can get 5.1 PPV's via Directv.