Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Region Free BD Player - Best combination of player and price

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Region Free BD Player - Best combination of player and price

Old 04-12-18, 11:31 PM

Re: Region Free BD Player - Best combination of player and price

So, almost two years later, any suggestions for the best region-free BD player out there today?
Old 04-13-18, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best or the best in a certain price range?

Best would still be either of the Oppos- either the base 203 or audiophile 205 version.
They'll play just about anything you throw at them and convert PAL to NTSC flawlessly if your display can't take a native PAL signal (though at this point, I'm guessing that isn't a concern for the majority of users).

For the 203- Bombay is sold out, but JVB Digital still has some in stock at $699, while 220 electronics wants $799. 220 is the only one outside of ebay that has the 205 and they want $3500.

You can get the 203 direct from Oppo now for $550 and the $205 later this summer + $18 shipping, but you would have to pay for any upgrade kits and hook them up yourself. It would be an external one, whereas if you get them from one of the two dealers above, they will be internally hardware modified.

After the Oppos, every other region free player is a compromise in some way (IMO).
Old 09-07-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone heard of a region free Blu-ray player that after you install it, it would either blow out your TV or any of the components hooked up to the TV?
I bought a region free player Sony s-3700 about a month or two ago. Ever since I installed it crazy things have happened. My original tv lost the signal and wonít work, my computer blew, and my first s-3700 lost power and shut down. I had The player replaced. Just installed it this afternoon. Now at night time, my cable box wonít work but the player works fine. Iím losing my mind with this.
Old 09-28-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I am back in the market for a region free blu-ray player. But given that 4k is now available I figured I would see if there are 4k players that can be made region free for BD/DVD.

So far I have found listings for the SONY UBP-X800. Any of similar models that have been made region free for BD/DVD, but are a better choice for the combination of cost and quality?