Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this normal? PS2 "mesh" or "dot" effect...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is this normal? PS2 "mesh" or "dot" effect...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-00, 06:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings,

I'm just wondering if you guys have noticed something that I have while playing my Playstation 2. I have the system hooked up to a Panasonic SuperFlat 27" television using an S-Video cable.

In games where the colors are very saturated (like an area of solid blue such as a sky), it appears that the picture is being viewed through a mesh type screen...almost as if there are little dots. This is EXTREMELY noticeable on PSOne games and is pretty annoying now that I can't forget about it. If it's just a normal thing with the PS2, then I guess I'll learn to deal with it.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

[email protected]
Old 12-15-00, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a 27" Sony Trinitron and it's not something I have noticed when playing games on my PS2. When I get a chance I will take another look. I would be surprised if it was a common occurrence as it would have been mentioned somewhere on the net or in magazines by now.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-15-00, 10:06 AM
Cool New Member

I have had my PS2 hooked up to a crappy 19" something or other, and a 36" Hitachi Ultravision....which is what it is connected to now. And I haven't seen this problem on either one. Sorry about that. You may want to try and do a search on PS2 or Playstation 2 and see what you come up with.
Old 12-15-00, 04:14 PM

I'm betting that the problem you're experiencing is color dithering. Although I would imagine a PS2 has support for millions of colors.

If I'm not mistaken, dithering is just the process of using many specs of different colors to simulate the color of interest. If you sit further away from the TV you probably wouldn't have this problem. Then again maybe this isn't the problem.

I know that certain games on the original PSX (maybe even PSOne) had this problem, especially on a big TV using SVideo and if you're sitting close.