Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Home Theatre Plan---analyze it please :)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My Home Theatre Plan---analyze it please :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-00, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is my home theatre plan, please dissect it, mash it, beat the snot out of it, I just want to get this right!

Toshiba CZ32V61-$642 at a local store (w/ tax)
Pioneer DV-333 DVD player- $150 OR Pioneer DV-C503 (5 disc) DVD player- $262 (w/ tax)
Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver-$374.50 (w/ tax)
Then the paradigm speakers...well, they are up in the air on pricing because I just called the local store that I listened to them at and they said that they don't give out pricing (other than MSRP) over the phone. This is a good thing, because he reason that he gave was that I would have to come in with money in hand so we could work out a deal that is fair for both of us. Seems like the pricing yesterday that I was given was the MSRP because we weren't definately getting the speakers.
Here is what I was thinking for speakers though:
Paradigm Atom (front-pair)- MSRP $189
Paradigm ADP-170 dipolar (back/side-pair)-MSRP $249
Paradigm CC170 center speaker-MSRP $199 or Paradigm CC-70 center speaker- MSRP $149
Paradigm PDR10 Subwoofer- MSRP $349

How does it look?

Are there any other speaker companies with similar quality speakers for a bit less maybe? I love those Paradigms though.

Also, how much should I be paying for the Paradigm speakers?

Old 12-13-00, 05:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, zippy2!

I will comment on the receiver. If you have the money, you may want to think about at least going with the Yamaha HTR-5280. There are several benefits. First, you get 110W output instead of the 85W of the 5240. Second, the HTR-5280 has 2 component video inputs (as well as a component video output). Third, the 5280 offers you 3 more optical inputs and another coax input (nice for digital cable, HDTV, etc). You can pick-up a Yamaha HTR-5280 for around $588 from http://www.etronics.com. The HTR series are the lower-end of the Yamaha line (with the RX line being the top end). However, for your setup, I honestly believe the HTR will satisfy all of your needs and more.

Hope this helps!

quote:<HR>Originally posted by zippy2:
...(edit)...they said that they don't give out pricing (other than MSRP) over the phone. This is a good thing, because he reason that he gave was that I would have to come in with money in hand so we could work out a deal that is fair for both of us.
<HR>

Hmmm... I wonder if this guy is on comission?

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My Growing DVD Collection

[This message has been edited by BartleyR7 (edited December 13, 2000).]
Old 12-13-00, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Upgrade the receiver and it will be well worth it. You probably don't need the dvd changer, so you can get money from there.

Remember, it is the heart of your system.

That guy wants you there so he can hook you. Having someone with 'cash in hand' makes it easier for him to play off your emotions. Know what you want to pay before going there and stick to it.
Old 12-13-00, 07:01 PM

Hey, thanks for the great response.

Yeah, I want to know what I should be paying so I can stick it to him right away instead of finding out his #. They are nice people over there and very helpful, so paying a slight premium over 'net prices is fine.

Also, the RX series is the same as the HTR series, only sold at different stores. You can read about the "differences" here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/faqs/av_receivers/faq00.htm

"First, you get 110W output instead of the 85W of the 5240. Second, the HTR-5280 has 2 component video inputs (as well as a component video output). Third, the 5280 offers you 3 more optical inputs and another coax input (nice for digital cable, HDTV, etc"

Is 25W that big of a difference in volume? I doubt I'd ever put the volume that high! :Q What is the advantage to having component video inputs/outputs on a receiver? Also, what other things would use optical inputs? I really don't see myself getting HDTV any time soon, maybe digital cable sometime next year, but that only needs one optical input, right?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-00, 07:15 PM

That's cool about the RX series. They do look almost identical.

The digital cable box I have (Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2000) uses a coax digital input. Other HT items that may use digital inputs include MD players/recorders, CD-Recorders, and possibly future gaming platforms (much like the current use of an optical port by the PS2).

One advantage to having the component video switching on the receiver is that you can connect 2 component devices to your TV that only has one set of component inputs. Right now, your DVD player is the only device that uses component video inputs (aside from HDTV). If in the near future, however, you wanted to add another component video device (perhaps even another DVD player), you would be ready with the HTR-5280.

I did neglect to mention that the 5280 also includes a matrix DTS-ES and Dolby Digital-EX decoder. It's not a true 6.1 discrete, but it offers a matrix mode that uses the rear speakers you already have to provide the extra channel.

I do agree with xcheckers on the DVD changer. Personally, I would invest the extra money in the better receiver. However, everybody has to decide what their own needs/wants are and weigh them accordingly.

Hopefully this helped.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

Old 12-13-00, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i would definetly take a look at the psb line of speakers. For the mney they are a grewat buy IMHO
Old 12-14-00, 01:50 AM

Is 25W that big of a difference in volume? I doubt I'd ever put the volume that high!
<HR>

You don't need 110 watts for Atoms. 85 is more than sufficient.
Old 12-14-00, 09:41 AM

Are there any other speaker companies with similar quality speakers for a bit less maybe? I love those Paradigms though.
<HR>

You could get the Energy Take 5 if you are lookin to save a little cash. These are some great little speakers and have gotten some really good reviews. The entire set of speakers including the 8inch sub can be had for $600. Here is a link to a pretty good site that carries the set, http://www.speedandsound.com/entak5witxls.html.

Old 12-14-00, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good set-up! The Yamaha 85 watts should be plenty, as they use beefy high-current amps. Consider the other features to see if you want to upgrade the receiver.

Other sub options are the Acoustic Research ARS500 and the Hsu Research VTF-2, both of which are monster subs for a bit under $500. Or consider upgrading to the PDR12. You can't have too much bass!!!
Old 12-14-00, 04:20 PM

"I did neglect to mention that the 5280 also includes a matrix DTS-ES and Dolby Digital-EX decoder."
Whats that?
"If in the near future, however, you wanted to add another component video device (perhaps even another DVD player), you would be ready with the HTR-5280."
What other devices might be coming out with component video support?

Hmmm...I really don't see myself using another coax digital input. I really doubt I'll be getting digital cable and I am getting Dreamcast now, so GameCube, XBox, PS2, whatever will be have a place to go if they go that route.

I think I'll go with the HTR-5240, the 5280 is just a lot of added features that just don't add up to the $200...for me at least.

I'll have to check out my local store for those Energy TAKE 5's.

drmoze, heh, I really don't think I'll need a 12" sub, it isn't the biggest room.

Sorry if it looks like I am "smacking down" people's suggestions, I am just taking their suggestions and relating them to me- fortunately for my parents' wallet they aren't quite fitting.

Thanks, and keep those replies coming!
Old 12-15-00, 10:53 AM

Bump the receiver as high as you can go, it
will be money well spent, and it will delay
your next upgrade by a few years.

Also, I'd look into the Paradigm Mini-monitors
for the mains. The cost difference is not
that huge, but you will be rewarded with better
sound.

Old 12-15-00, 11:45 AM

Sorry if it looks like I am "smacking down" people's suggestions, I am just taking their suggestions and relating them to me- fortunately for my parents' wallet they aren't quite fitting.
<HR>

Nah, it's not a problem. It's your set-up, right? Good luck!

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

Old 12-15-00, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Hi, if you are not planning on using your system for music, then you won't need a multi disc DVD changer. If you do plan on using your system for music. You might to consider something other than a Yamaha. Now I am not bashing Yamaha. I own a Yamaha rx-v2095. It set me back over a grand last year. It is the heart of my HT system. But I have a seperate system for music. Yamaha is very bright when playing music. Also, not that this matters at the power you are looking at, but you're far more likely to damage speakers by driving them with an underpowered amp than a more powerful one. When you have an underpowered amp you may run into clipping, that will damage speakers more than driving them with a powerful amp that doesn't clip. Also, more power can mean your speakers are more efficient even at lower volumes. So I agree with most everyone else, if you can get more power, buy it.