Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can I put my dvd player on top of my receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can I put my dvd player on top of my receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-00, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I put my dvd player on top of my receiver or will the heat from the receiver be bad for the dvd player? thanks

jay
Old 12-11-00, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't if I were you...the receiver produces lots of heat, so you want to keep it well ventilated. 90% of the time, it's actually better to have the receiver on top of the DVD player...the other 10% applies to those monstrously heavy 50lb receivers or conversely, ultra flimsy built DVD players.
Old 12-11-00, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No, Not a good Idea! Thats like saying can I put my DVD player on the stove when the Ovens turned on!

2 Problems. #1 Ventilation. #2, The reason for the ventilation Heat
Old 12-11-00, 02:44 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
But can I put my 27" TV on top of my DVD player?
Old 12-11-00, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure, of course you can put your TV on top of your DVD player Try it and tell us how it goes.
Old 12-11-00, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
But can I put my 27" TV on top of my DVD player?<HR>

I have my 53in Sony sitting on top of my dvd player...

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-11-00, 11:42 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenerDiode:
I wouldn't if I were you...the receiver produces lots of heat, so you want to keep it well ventilated. 90% of the time, it's actually better to have the receiver on top of the DVD player...the other 10% applies to those monstrously heavy 50lb receivers or conversely, ultra flimsy built DVD players. <HR>

I wouldn't recommend putting a receiver direct on top of a DVD player under no circumstances whatsoever, especially when the weight, and ventilation is concern.
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~digital
Old 12-11-00, 11:59 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jason978:
Can I put my dvd player on top of my receiver or will the heat from the receiver be bad for the dvd player? thanks

jay
<HR>

I'm gonna differ from the opinion of everyone else so far, and give you a solid "maybe". It really depends on what type of reciever you have and how much heat it puts out (it's all about the ventilation, baby!) As long as you don't have a cheap Technics or something like that, you should be ok.

I personally have my cable box on top of my reciever and haven't ever had any problems.

[This message has been edited by Dominus (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-11-00, 12:13 PM

I'll go ahead and agree with Dominus on this one. I have my DVD player sitting on my receiver and haven't had any problems. However, my receiver has really good ventilation (both on top and in back), and my DVD player has slightly longer legs than normal. My receiver will also shut-off if it overheats. So with this extra safety-feature, I wasn't too worried about the placement of my DVD player.

Now that I said that, I am looking into getting a new audio cabinet soon (which has more shelves so I will not have to sit components on top of other components).

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 12:26 PM

I'm gonna agree with the general consensus and say definately not!

Just in dealing with the heat issue alone!

I'm using a bookshelf with adjustable shelves to house my HT equipment with a shelf all it's own for my Receiver.

To be on the safe side you should either shelve it by itself or under/above similarly heated equipment

------------------
Gojira
Old 12-11-00, 12:56 PM

I would say that a general rule of thumb is to not put the player on top of the reciever no matter how much ventilation there is. Hot air rises and will want to escape from the top of your reciever. You do not want to trap hot air inside your reciever . I own a Sony 555ES and this reciever gets hot when I am cranking my system. I used to have my player on top of the reciever but found that the reciever ran cooler when I took the player off. If you can get your player to run cooler then you are only helping the reciever last longer. I would definately not put the player on the top or the bottom of the reciever.

Does anyone know if the heat from the reciever can have adverse effects on a dvd player over time? Seems to me like it would in the long run.
Old 12-11-00, 05:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Sure, of course you can put your TV on top of your DVD player Try it and tell us how it goes.<HR>

Well, thanks a lot!

I squashed my DVD player and the Salo DVD that was playing in it when I put the TV on top of it. You'd think it would work ok, it's only 100 lbs. And djones6746 even has a 53" Sony on top of his! That's the last time I listen to you guys.

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-11-00, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Single104,

What ventilation? It's a DVD player. And if it were designed properly, then it should be able to handle be stacked.
Old 12-12-00, 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear that X but you guys are cracking me up. I cannot stop laughing. This is so funny! I think the guy was pulling your leg when he said he had a large tv on top of his player.
Old 12-12-00, 09:55 AM
Banned

Single104,

What ventilation? It's a DVD player. And if it were designed properly, then it should be able to handle be stacked.
<HR>

The ventilation from the receiver. we all know that DVD Players are not ventilated.
Old 12-12-00, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How does everyone have their systems stacked? Usually the reciever is the biggest item, but do you guys stack it on top of the DVD player, VCR, Cable box, etc? Does a shelf unit provide enough ventalation for the reciever?
Old 12-12-00, 11:42 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, a related question. My DVD is on top of my receiver and no problems yet....

However....if I wanted to keep it there but raise it higher, do any of you have recommendations regarding any kind of pegs/cups/rubber thingys/whatever that I could put under the feet of the DVD player?

As I said, I haven't had any problems yet and raising the height of the DVD player will be cheaper than moving it (since I would need a longer optical cable and an additional receiver for my remote extender).

If anyone has good thoughts feel free to e-mail me too, since this question is kind of buried. Thanks.....
Old 12-12-00, 11:46 AM

Here is my stackup...

cable box top
VCR
DVD player
Reciever bottom

I have all of these in the cabinet below my TV. I try to leave the glass door open when I watch movies because it can get pretty hot in there.
Old 12-12-00, 11:53 AM

I'm tight on space, so my setup is stacked bottom-to-top: receiver, dvd, vcr (DustGatherer 2000[tm] ), and cable-box. It works fine, as long as you limit you viewing session to under 39.3 hours.
Ventilation of my setup is somewhere between "fair" and "good." Maybe with better ventilation I could extend continuous viewing to a week!

Disclaimer: Your Mileage May Vary. This advice worth exactly what you paid for it (nothing).

Diskclaimer: Hey! That's my disk!

------------------
/dev/null
Old 12-12-00, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Hmm never thought about the ventilation thing for the reciever.. but luckily mine is clear I have it on the bottom shelf on a tv table with maybe 6" before the shelf above it.. and the shelf over it as my dvd player, cable box and dusty old vcr that hasn't been touched since like last xmas
Old 12-12-00, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Well, thanks a lot!

I squashed my DVD player and the Salo DVD that was playing in it when I put the TV on top of it. You'd think it would work ok, it's only 100 lbs. And djones6746 even has a 53" Sony on top of his! That's the last time I listen to you guys.

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 11, 2000).]
<HR>

As djones6746 flushes X down the toilet...

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 12, 2000).]
Old 12-12-00, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So can I make grilled cheeses on top of my receiver?
Old 12-12-00, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trelach24:
So can I make grilled cheeses on top of my receiver?<HR>

well according to the new twix ad, it is safe to put a giant glob of peanut butter into a cd player

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 12-12-00, 06:11 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JLB:
Ok, a related question. My DVD is on top of my receiver and no problems yet....

However....if I wanted to keep it there but raise it higher, do any of you have recommendations regarding any kind of pegs/cups/rubber thingys/whatever that I could put under the feet of the DVD player?

As I said, I haven't had any problems yet and raising the height of the DVD player will be cheaper than moving it (since I would need a longer optical cable and an additional receiver for my remote extender).

If anyone has good thoughts feel free to e-mail me too, since this question is kind of buried. Thanks.....
<HR>

You should check out Vibrapods. They're little rubber things that go under the feet of your dvd player or cd player or whatever. Info here:

http://www.vibrapod.com

Old 12-12-00, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Single104,

I'm confused now Does your receiver have ventilation at the bottom? Or does your DVD have ventilation. I still don't see why you can't stack your receiver on top of your DVD...the hot air from the receiver goes UP, not down...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.