Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home Theathre Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-00, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anybody help? I have a couple of questions with regard to the set up of my Videologic Digitheathre DTS. First what is the best digital connection coaxial or optical (or does it make no difference)and secondly does the quality of your speaker wire make a great deal of difference.
Old 12-11-00, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I understand that optical is the best. But the optical cables are prone to breaking if you are not careful with them. As i recall the Coax Cable was slightly more expensive then the Optical when i went to buy it (i asked because I was shocked that they wanted 40 bucks for a 6 foot cable!!
Old 12-11-00, 08:21 AM

Someone in this post said that your digital coax is the same as your yellow RCA video cable. (75ohm cable)Get one with gold ends.
Old 12-11-00, 09:51 AM

Go with the digital coax cable not the optical. The advantages to using a coax are that it is much sturdier then an optical cable and it costs considerably less. You can use any 75ohm RCA cable which you can find anywhere that sells electronics for only a few bucks. There is no evidence that optical offers better quality then coax. The only optical cables that I feel are really better then coax cables are the high end optical cables which utilize glass inside.
Old 12-11-00, 12:18 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by scn1:
Can anybody help? I have a couple of questions with regard to the set up of my Videologic Digitheathre DTS. First what is the best digital connection coaxial or optical (or does it make no difference)and secondly does the quality of your speaker wire make a great deal of difference.<HR>

We could probably sit here all day and argue about which is better. I have heard all types of arguments about differences in sound quality in the two, but the fact of the matter is that it really makes no difference. You should make a choice based on other factors like how long of a cable will you need, possible interference, etc.

In general, with a short span (1 m) you will probably be better with a optical connector, and long span, a coax.

Old 12-11-00, 02:51 PM
SGP

I just got a Midiland S4-8200. When I use regular RCA connection it produce humming sound. I called tech support and they advised me to use optical cable to remove the humming sound.

So I got the optical cable and the humming sound is gone ! I am not sure if this applies to your situation but if u hear humming noise, u know u have to get the optical cable. My Dolby Digital decoder is the same as yours.

[This message has been edited by SGP (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-12-00, 03:55 AM

Yeah I do get the humming sound. Are you in the UK and can you recommend a place to get an optical lead cheap?
Old 12-12-00, 06:06 AM
Cool New Member

The humming sound you hear is a result of a poorly made RCA cable. Whis explains the purpose behind a 30-45 dollar Coax. Your speaker wire doesn't have to be THX certified but you can still get it by the foot/meter relatively cheap. Pick up some gold connectors, high quality solder and go-to-town!
Old 12-12-00, 06:33 PM
SGP

Nope. I am not in UK, I am in US. I am using the Acoustic Research HT181 which is found in Amazon for 24 USD. I found it cheaper at
the website below for 18-22 USD depending on the length.

http://ac4l.com/advscripts/prodlist.asp?area=44