Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Frustration in deciding on new receiver.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Frustration in deciding on new receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-00, 03:42 PM
steak

Guys and Gals, I need you help. I am getting so frustrated in trying to make this decision and I want to make sure it is the right one. here is what I am looking for. I am looking for a receiver that has EX and ES discrete technology maybe with a THX certification. I really like the Onkyo 989 but don't like the price. I am considering the Denon 3801 since it seems to be one of the few resonably priced 6.1 receivers that offer all the features I want. However, it is not THX certified. I like the Pioneer Elite 35-TX but as I understand it, it only does the Matrix and not the discrete. What is a guy to do!!! If you were looking at what I am, what would you buy? I probably will not be buying for another month.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-00, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you feel you must have 6.1 then your best option would be the 3801.You can always get an outboard 5 channel amp like the Outlaw,ATI,Parasound or the Sherbourn 5/1500.With those amps and the 3801,you would have a dynamite package.Keep in mind though that there is VERY little 6.1 encoded DVD`s right now and it might be awhile for many more to come.I would not worry to much about THX.I have the 4800 which is THX Ultra certified and it does NOTHING for me.For the time being I have a Sherbourn 5/1500 amp which is 200 by 5 into 8 ohms and 300 by 5 into 4 ohms and with that combo I am happy.
Old 12-12-00, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally would not get so caught up in the THX certification. I feel that discreet 6.1 is more important, if I had to choose between the two.