Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Aspect Ratios

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-00, 10:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that 285:1 is the best, and I can understand why, however, on some of the less expensive barebones DVDs I've noticed that the aspect ratio is 178:1. I don't have a big screen TV...yet...but played on a 19" I can't tell much difference. What about on a 52" or greater?

------------------
Don't move...Don't whisper...don't even breathe...
Old 12-11-00, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you have your aspect ratios a bit screwed up! The most popular ratios used today are 2.35:1, 1.85:1, & the hated 1.33:1 (full screen). There are a few odd aspect ratios out there as well like 1.66:1, 1.78:1 (which is the HD standard) 2.10:1 etc... but there are much more rare. And yes 1.78:1 being the HD standard still doesn't garner many films shot in that ratios.

I would have to say that most film buffs will say that 2.35:1 is the best aspect ratio as it give you the widest (of the common ratios used) scope which is essential for a lot of films. Some may prefer 1.85:1 because it fills their HDTV all the way (or for 4x3 owners it doesn't have big black bars) but these are far fewer then the 2.35:1 lovers.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 12-11-00, 12:25 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I pretty much think the best aspect ratio is the one the movie was filmed in. If it's 1.78 or 1.85, great because it fills the screen. If it's 2.35, ok, but those bars are there and now I wish I had a 65" RPTV.
Old 12-11-00, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i have a small tv so films shot in 2.35:1 Cinamascope the bars take away a significant part of the picture, I like 1:85 or 1:66, The main thing about the Ratios is i wan't the whole picture and not just half of it, so if the film was originally shot in 2.35:1 then i would perfer that Ratio. And I will appreciate it even more when i get a widescreen hdtv (yea i know, dream on)
My buddy has quite abit of information on his site, it's worth lookin through http://www.clapro.com/widescreen/

------------------
Vist me on the Web
My Humble Collection
Smilies
Palm Beach Pokey
Old 12-11-00, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mandrake:
I've heard that 285:1 is the best, and I can understand why, however, on some of the less expensive barebones DVDs I've noticed that the aspect ratio is 178:1. I don't have a big screen TV...yet...but played on a 19" I can't tell much difference. What about on a 52" or greater?

<HR>

With aspect ratios like that, you do not need a big screen TV.....you need a 100 inch movie screen!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-11-00, 11:55 PM
Cool New Member

Oops....

I guess I was thinking both 235 and 185 when I typed this one...

100 inch movie screen? Yeah, I think I've got enought room in the living room. Anybody know of a good deal?

------------------
Don't move...Don't whisper...don't even breathe...