Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic RV30 questions & help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Panasonic RV30 questions & help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-00, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am almost 100% sold on getting a Panasonic RV30 but have a couple of questions.
This is my 1st DVD so do not understand some of the terminology.

I eventually plan on a complete HT with HDTV in the 45”+ size, a reasonable ($400) Receiver and have budgeted about $900 for speakers.

I note that the RV30 does not have a Dolby 5.1 decoder. Does this mean I will not get 5.1 sound or that I just need to be sure the receiver has a decoder? Consumer Reports that the RV30 will not connect to some receivers but didn’t say what the problem was.

Which connection is the best for the video? I understand there is something called a Tosslink ( not 100% sure) optical connection for video.

I want to be sure I can connect my future HDTV to the DVD. What type of connection do I have to have to take advantage of the RV30 capabilities?

Will I be able to connect to my current old TV? It has the normal coax and some RCA type connections (which I have never used)

Thanks in advance for your time and answer.
Old 12-08-00, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This player will pass the DD and DTS signal.....you will need a receiver or stand alone decoder to process the sound!!!

Does your TV have S-Video capability??? If so, I would suggest this connection and if you do not then just use your standard composite(RCA) cables to connect your video to your TV from the player....I believe this player has component outputs which means when you buy your HDTV set you will be able to use this video connection which is the best possible video connection available!!! I hope I answered your questions!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 08, 2000).]
Old 12-08-00, 08:33 PM

Yes, the Panasonic RV30 does not have a Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 internal decoder. So when you get your home theater going, make sure you buy a receiver that has a built-in Dolby Digital and/or DTS decoder if you want DTS also.
All DVD's do have a decoder actually but it decodes Dolby Digital 5.1 and downmixes it to 2 channels so that "regular" people with just a TV or stereo system can hook it up.

There are 3 types of VIDEO connections that the RV30 has:
1. Composite (1 RCA): the lowest quality
2. S-Video: better in quality
3. Component (3 RCA): the best
If you want to use the DVD player for now with just the TV you have now, make sure it has atleast a composite (RCA type) VIDEO input. If your TV just has an RF input where you usually stick in the cable feed, then you're going to have to buy an adapter.

Now for the audio: the RV30 has stereo analog outputs for those who don't have digital decoders. If you are going to hook up the audio to your TV, make sure it has stereo audio RCA inputs.
There are 2 types of digital audio connections one can make to output the digital audio to an external receiver that has a decoder. This is the connection used to transfer the 5.1 encoded material off the DVD to the receiver so that it can be decoded and outputted through your speakers.
There's:
1) Digital Coaxial (which transfer info digitally but is nothing more than an RCA type cable)
2) Digital Optical which uses an optical connection to transfer info digitally whose cable is a lot more expensive.
Unfortunately, the RV30 only has a DIGITAL OPTICAL output. So when you buy a Digital receiver (one with a Dolby Digital and/or DTS decoder, make sure that it has an optical input (practically all receivers do).
You were confused on this part. The optical connection is for audio and NOT video.

If you are considering buying an HDTV soon, then I would suggest that you look at a Progressive Scan DVD player. I mentioned that there are 3 VIDEO type connections right? Well, actually there's another one that's better than all 3. Its a progressive scan output. Higher-end models will have this kind of video output but you won't be able to take advantage of the superior quality of progressive scan unless you have a Progressive Scan capable TV. I think the Panasonic RV80 is a progressive scan but I could be wrong.

The RV30 is a nice player. I've had it for about a month now. If you have more questions email me or post a reply here.
Hope that helps,
Andy
Old 12-10-00, 03:19 AM

just got this deal for 129 after rebate from amazona nd it seems pretty sweet...

one question: my reciever is older and has dolby decoder. It supports the 5 input surround but shoudl also do regular dolby. (were talkin too old for digital in)

How do I set the machine for surround? can't it do surround over 2 rca with dolby pro logic or soethign... Please; someone elaborate; i am not an audiophile. (nor a videophile but dvd really is better :-) )
Old 12-10-00, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think the Panny RV-80 can do progressive 480P...the panasonic site says nothing in the RV-80 specs that confirms this. I would imagine that if it was progressive that they would be trumpeting it...

In the Panasonic family only the H1000 (ultra expensive but ultry high quality!) seems to be progressive capable. I wish that Panasonic would introduce a more affordable prog player like Toshiba's 5109...say around 500-700 MSRP...

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 1000 post club...
Old 12-10-00, 01:57 PM

Dear Pschlortz,
By the sounds of it, what you have is a Dolby Digital READY receiver. It doesn't have a Dolby Digital decoder, all it can do is accept 5.1 inputs from a source that has already decoded the 5.1 like a DVD player with built-in decoders that has 5.1 outputs. It can decoder Dolby Surround material though.
The RV30 doesn't have a Dolby Digital built-in decoder that can output 5.1 channels.
So you can't listen to Dolby Digital 5.1, only Dolby Surround unless you:
1) get a new DVD player with built-in decoders that has 5.1 outputs and pair it up to the receiver you have now
2) get a new receiver that has a Dolby Digital decoder and pair it up to the RV30
Old 12-11-00, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by pshlortz:
How do I set the machine for surround? can't it do surround over 2 rca with dolby pro logic or soethign...<HR>

Yes, just connect the R/L audio outputs on the DVD player to the R/L inputs on the receiver for DVD, AUX, CD -- whatever is available. Then, you should be able to choose between stereo and Pro-Logic listening on the receiver. Pro-Logic from DVDs is very good, you will be satisfied, but for some mono movies you may want to switch to stereo listening. Eventually, you can upgrade to DD/DTS by buying a decoder and connecting it to the 6-channel inputs on your receiver, or entirely replacing the receiver.
Old 12-11-00, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Here's the low-down on the RV30:

For video, you've got your standard RCA-type analog video output jack, a set of composite video outputs jacks, and an S-video jack. Some people claim the composite video connections are best, others claim the S-video is best. Clearly, both of these are superior to your analog video output. If your TV has either of these sets of inputs, I'd experiment and see which you like better. Of course, if you don't have an S-video cable handy, I wouldn't go out buy one just to 'experiment' -- I'd use the composite jacks and be done with it. If your set has only the analog RCA input, then that's what you'll be using, since the RV30 does not have a coax video output.

For audio, you've got one set of regular RCA-type analog stereo jacks (plus a subwoofer output jack), and an optical digital audio output jack. The RV30 does not provide DD5.1 or DTS decoding, but it does provide output of DD/DTS signal via the optical digital audio jack. You need to connect the optical jack to a receiver with onboard DD and/or DTS decoding to be able to use this output. The 'problem' Consumer Reports was talking about is undoubtedly with the optical jacks, because not all recivers have them. Since the DD/DTS data is output ONLY over the optical jacks, you have to have a receiver that also has optical jacks if you want DD/DTS. There are several receivers for under $250-300 that have this, including ones by Pioneer and JVC.

The RV30 *does* have a Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) mode which works with the two front speakers, although I haven't used it myself to be able to talk to that particular feature.

Hope this helps you.