Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

NUON: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-00, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been seeing some hype for the new NUOM chip in the Toshiba DVD players. Do you think it's worth it? I was looking at getting a new player with Progressive scan output. Should I wait and get one with both?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-08-00, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

NUON technology is too little too late. There is hardly any support for it, nor can it compete with the PS2 WRT a DVD player and games machine combined. Plus the NUON DVD players cost 60% more then the PS2. The games that are coming out for it don't look that impressive either. I would not bother with it.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-09-00, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ejunior2, treat Nuon like an extra feature on a DVD player, rather than a video game system that can play DVDs. You never actually mentioned you wanted it for games, but know that it isn't really meant to compete with PS2, and like cloud pointed out there aren't many games for it. It offers some cool features (ie, multiple zoom that smooths and sharpens the blown-up image), but I don't think it's anything you should be paying much extra for. Compare standalone players and if a Nuon version looks to provide similar quality at a similar price, then go for it. Otherwise, avoid.
Old 12-09-00, 01:23 PM

the nuon players cost 0% more than ps2, thats cuz they go for 299.99.
Old 12-09-00, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by vwbeetlvr:
the nuon players cost 0% more than ps2, thats cuz they go for 299.99.<HR>

Actually AFAIK their MSRP is $499.99. Unless there has been a price drop since they are 60% more then the PS2.

Update: Looks like the MSRP is now $349.99 and Buy.com has the Toshiba model for $299.99.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited December 09, 2000).]
Old 12-10-00, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't looking at NUON so much for gaming but for more for accessing some of the interactive content on somee of the DVD's out there. That said, however, if there's not really much available for it then I think the money would be better spent on a Progressive scan capable player instead.

I mean how much of a close up do you really need? And if I'm playing music then the TV is usually off.

Thanks again.