Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-00, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased the panasonic dvdrv30 and I was wondering if I get a high quality sound card like a soundblaster live and good speakers for the computer is there a way to hook up the home dvd player to my computer to playback the sound? I would like to use the soundcard for my computer audio too. I know the soundblaster live card has a 5.1 decoder but I don't know id it only works with computer dvd players. I'm really new to this and any help would be appreciated. Links to sites that discuss this topic are also needed
Old 12-08-00, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it'll only work if the sb live has a digital audio in. i don't recall that it does so i think your sol. you CAN use the line in, but the sound is only going to be in stereo. you need a digital connection to pass all 6 sound channels discretely from the player to the sound card for the card to then decode. otherwise you need 6 separate analog connections which i KNOW that the sb live does not have.

however, what u CAN do is buy a receiver that has DD/DTS decoding and accepts a digital input. i believe the sb live has a coaxial digital out which u can then hookup to the receiver and use that to play your computer sounds. then hook up the dvd player to your receiver as well. you still won't be able to output your dvd audio from the computer as dolby digital 5.1 though.