Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can you tape DVD's to VHS?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can you tape DVD's to VHS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-00, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that we have decided to get a DVD player, I was wonering if it is possible to tape a DVD for use in our VCR? I'd just like for the kids to be able to watch a "VHS version" in their rooms occasionally. We have three VCR's and I'd just still like to be able to use them while building a DVD library! Possible? Legal?
Thanks
newbi
Old 12-02-00, 08:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Possible and legal. You have to defeat Macrovision. There are several ways to do this.
Old 12-02-00, 09:35 PM

I have a "Digital Video Stabilizer" that defeats macrovision... Don't need it now though, planning to sell. E-mail me if interested.
Old 12-02-00, 11:16 PM
X
Administrator

Be careful with Digital Video Stabilizers. You need one designed to defeat Macrovision level 1 and 2. Not the $35 ones.
Old 12-03-00, 10:34 AM

Ok you say it can be done but it sounds like it's not a cut and dried process. You have lost me with the "digital video stabilizers" so what is that, where do you get them and how does it work. I'm a computer buff, but am new to the home theater stuff.
Thanks All!
Old 12-03-00, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Go Video defeats Macrovision. But the newer ones won't.
Old 12-03-00, 02:53 PM
X
Administrator

As you are a computer buff, you should consider a home theater computer. You can play any region and remove macrovision before it ever gets in your video stream by adding a few hardware and software components to a regular computer. More information can be obtained by visiting forums that specialize in this area.
Old 12-03-00, 10:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Definately go for a DVD-ROM setup. It makes the DVD to VHS simple. Many of the hardware DVD decoders will easily defeat macrovision with an adition small program running in the background. The DXR2, DXR3, and Hollywood Plus decoders all have this capability. You can also play DVDs from other reagions without many problems. I don't know off the top of my head what I have written for information on macrovision defeation in the DVD-ROM FAQ, but I do know it's the first topic covered. Click on the link in my sig. If you have any more questions after that, just post a question in the ROM forum.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-04-00, 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone. This is a great site.
My only problem with a DVD-Rom setup is that my computer is not in the same room as the setup for our home theater. And I may possibly need to use the computer/DVD-Rom at the same time the kids are watching a movie etc.. What I really wanted to do was to be able, at least for the time being, to hook up both our VCR and a DVD player to our TV/surround sound system. At this point we have two dvd movies, (it's a double pack), and we will probably slowly build a library (we haven't purchased the DVD player yet), so we really would like to be able to use the VCR also. (We've got probably 100 VHS movies.) At the same time I'd like to be able to copy DVDs to VHS for viewing on our other VCRs. Once DVD recorders become readily available at an affordable price then I can see the VCR gone with the 8 tracks, but until then they still have some good use. Thanks again.
newbi
Old 12-04-00, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
try here, there are 3 more links that answer your question http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/018985.html

------------------
Those aren't pillows!!!
I never saw a guy get picked up by the clusters before!
You're going the wrong way!!!
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD's