Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Paradigm Monitor 7, PSB Image 5T, AR AR9 ... Discuss.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Paradigm Monitor 7, PSB Image 5T, AR AR9 ... Discuss.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-00, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello there folks ...

Been a lonnnggg time since I posted, but I'm suddenly seeking the forum's wisdom on these three speakers and how they stack up. My budget and my research have pointed me in their direction. Unfortunately (and as sad as it is to admit), I'll have precious little time to test these out and compare them in person before purchase, so any choice thoughts and advice would be much appreciated -- want to make the most of whatever stolen minutes I might have at my local dealer's listening room.

Receiver: Onkyo 575x
DVD: Toshiba 3109
TV: Upgrading as we speak
Music: The ABC's -- Alternative, Beatles, Classical (lots of other stuff, but this gives you an idea of my listening habits) Bone dissolving low-end not necessary or even desired -- an unfortunate but real consequence of apartment living, folks!
Movies: 'Alien' to 'Matrix' to 'Vertigo'
Music/Home Theatre: 60/40

Thanks ... prl 11/26

[This message has been edited by plivingston (edited November 26, 2000).]
Old 11-26-00, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on your listening habits, I'd recommend PSB, B&W, and the entry level Vandersteen. I highly recommend listening to the speakers first though. I am not a fan of the monitor series from Paradigm, but the Reference series sounds much better.
Old 11-26-00, 10:47 PM

Start here:
http://www.goodsound.com/speakers.html

Also keep in mind which brands have a
good-sounding, well-matched center channel,
or even a center channel at all.

Matching the surrounds is much less important,
but get them as close as possible.

Old 11-26-00, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to give you a straight answer to your question: The Paradigm Monitor 7's.

Here's why: Although you listen to more music than HT - which is a case I'd usually suggest the PSB's over the Paradigm's - you specified you use the Onkyo 575 receiver. Which is a great amp, but relatively low powered. PSB speakers are pretty inefficient speakers and to really make them sing you'd need a good 100 watts of high current power into them (all I've heard although the image series I haven't auditioned). The Paradigm's (my father has owned for about 3 years now) are extremely efficient and with your amps would sound excellant. My father has an older HK AVR 25 MkII receiver (70 watts HC) and they sound beautiful. Also when going HT the Paradigm CC-350 is one of the highest regarded centers on the market (performance to price). As far as the AR's go. I wouldn't reccomend them. Every pair I've heard just sounds like a boomy pair of monsters similar to circuit city showroom setups (crutchfield: charlottesville, va). Anyhow, in my opinion the Paradigm's would be the best choice. Great blend of Music/HT speaker and an excellant introduction in to high end HT.

--Although in this range I'd consider the Monitor Audio Silver 5i as well...
Old 11-27-00, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really have to disagree with Poorboy's concern over efficiency. I agree with his postings in general normally. However, I don't feel that speaker choice vs efficiency of receiver should really be a concern or issue when choosing a speaker (unless we are talking truly tough loads like maggies). I sailed through college with relatively inefficient speakers (87db) and a basic denon 55watt receiver and had absolutely no problems driving them. Sure they didn't hit concert levels, but the sound quality of the speakers brought everyone to comment on them. They did get plenty loud as well, and if we do the math, even a 100watt amp would not have made them any louder in real world terms. My point is not to dismiss speakers simply because their efficiency is less than mainstream standards. A more powerfull amp can always be added in the future, but that's more of an add-on versus buying brand new speakers. Most of us live on 2-3 watts per channel real world listening for the regular speakers and the sub handles the real load.
Old 11-28-00, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a brief response: I still think efficiency should be a concern. Where he can always upgrade the amp later on, with the Paradigms that upgrade may never be neccasary (sp). I have often heard my father's amp clip at higher volumes and couldn't imagine how bad it would be if it were with a less efficient speaker (i.e. PSB Stratus line). We also have a large room to fill sound with in addition though. Also, just another note, when I upgraded my current speakers I only had 50 watts going into them (Yamaha power), and it sounded small. Not until I delivered 100-130 did they come alive, there was NO bass before the bigger amp. And no, I don't use a sub at all either.

- New info though: I looked up the effieciency of the PSB's and they are actually pretty good, 92 db, same as the Paradigms. Makes the decision impossible for me without demos...
Old 11-28-00, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not that it'll be worth anything, but I have Paradigm Monitor 7's and am thoroughly satisfied with them. I also use the CC-170 (model before the 350) and no complaints there.
Old 12-02-00, 01:35 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and words of wisdom. Hopefully I'll be able to put it all to good use this coming week: I'll actually have a few hours to listen to some speakers and make some decisions ...

Thanks again.
plivingston