DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Soundbar Virtual Surround Settings

Old 03-24-15, 08:10 AM
Cool New Member

Soundbar Virtual Surround Settings

I picked up a Philips 3110B Soundbar with subwoofer which I like very much. I have it connected to my Samsung Blu ray player via digital coaxial. Both the soundbar and player have a virtual surround mode and I'm not sure which I should use or if I set both to virtual they might cancel each other out somehow...I don't know so thought I'd ask. Right now both are set to stereo.
Any ideas?
Old 03-24-15, 02:14 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Soundbar Virtual Surround Settings

Never mind...tried it but seems to lack the depth and punch I get from the stereo setting so will keep it on stereo.
Old 03-24-15, 11:17 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is "virtual surround" mode similar to what is called "3D" in some other models? My soundbar has a 3D mode, but I find the sound too "artificial" so I turn it off.
Old 03-25-15, 03:05 AM
Cool New Member

I turned mine off too Psi. I think the 3D is supposed to be something like surround sound or virtual surround. On mine the stereo sounds great so I'll leave it there. No sense trying to make a 2.1 system sound like a 5.1.
Old 03-25-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You usually have to sit in a precise location for that virtual surround to work at all. They can do an ok job of making it seem to be surround if you are there, but don't lean 3" to the left, it goes away. Not real popular among those that pay any attention at all to the audio. Nothing wrong with stereo.