Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component switcher

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-00, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My receiver doesnt have component inputs but I have my DVD player, Playstation 2, and Dreamcast that i want to hook up to my TV. Anyone know where I can get a selector similar to the A/V selectors?
Old 12-01-00, 03:15 AM

I believe all you will need to use is a standard A/V selector. Follow me oon this and see if it makes sense:

-Buy a audio/video selector that has red/white/yellow (video) inputs. I have an RCA that does 6 inputs and 1 output and I love it. Anyhow, pick one input color for each component video color, i.e., red = red, white = green, and yellow = blue. Then send one output to your TV. This will work fine. Now, what I am not sure on is if the quality will be comprimised. I'm not exactly sure the difference between what a component video (single RCA line) and a standard RCA cable is.

BTW: This can be used for multiple digital outputs if your receiver only has one or two digital inputs.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

------------------
My Site
Old 12-01-00, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can just use my receiver for that (which is what im doing now). I want to be able to use the component hookups. I have my PS2 hooked up both ways and the difference is incredible between component and A/V. Thanks anyway though.
Old 12-01-00, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bose is saying that you should buy a regular switcher, but instead of connecting video/audio L/audio R, connect Y/Pb/Pr (or whatever) instead. You won't be passing any audio through the switcher, only video, but that's OK if you run the audio to your recevier. (You can't do this through a receiver, because R/L inputs are amplified, not passed through.)