Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby ProLogic and SubWoofer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dolby ProLogic and SubWoofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-00, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My present set-up for DVDs and music is through a Dolby ProLogic receiver. My question is how much of an effect will I get by introducing a sub-woofer into my system? Would I be better off investing in a DD receiver and waiting to get a sub at a later time? $$$ is of concern while putting a daughter through college, so I have to go piecemeal with my purchases.
Old 11-27-00, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much effect a sub will have (and whether a new DD receiver will have more ove an effect) on your system will depend on a lot of things:

* What are your main speakers right now?
* If you got a sub, how would you hook it up? (Does your current receiver have bass management, etc.)
* How happy are you with the amount and quality of bass that you're getting now?
* Do you have a center channel speaker? Surrounds? A dvd player?

-S
Old 11-27-00, 06:59 PM

From looking at the manual for my JVC RX-515VTN Receiver, it appears I can't use a subwoofer with this receiver. Thanks for your response Steve, I'll start saving for the new 5.1 DD receiver.
Old 11-28-00, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a suggestion, but Harman International (Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, etc.) is practically giving some gear away at their website. Saw a beast of a JBL sub there for less than 200$. I'm talking 350 watts, 15" JBL. Not the most accurate but a monster foundation shaker for under $200!! (Regualarly $799).
www.harmanoutlet.com

- They also have the AVR-65 DD/DTS receiver for $350! This remanufatured, but also comes with warranty as well. Any problems, boom, replaced...Good place to buy some inexpensive gear.

Brian
Old 11-28-00, 12:17 PM

I'd bet you could hook a powered sub up now using the front speaker outputs.
I did this very thing since my old technics pro logic receiver did not have sub provisions.
It worked well, then when I could afford it, I upgraded to DD 5.1, and I had the sub there waiting to plug into the LFE for 5.1.

By the way, the sound was greatly improved for me by adding the sub with pro logic. My speakers were not re-producing low frequency sounds nearly as well as the sub, even though they were rated to like 50 Hz.
Old 11-28-00, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
buzzdalf, I agree. Hook it up. I hooked up my first 80 Watts subwoofer to my rear speakers to great success!

Rainman15, figure out what you can comfortably spend and then double it. This is a critical element to a full sounding system.

------------------
Toshiba -- SD-2109
Da List -- no longer being updated

"Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens ... ... I'm getting tired of your gas, now jerk that pistol and go to work ..."
Old 11-29-00, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your responses. If I hook the sub to the front speaker outputs, will it work if it connects to only one of the second set of speakers (if it works does it make a difference, which one left or right) or must the sub connect to both left and right speakers (how do I do this). I'm considering buying a Sony SA-WM40, I'm really not happy with LFE sound I get presently from my 5 speaker pro-logic set up.
Old 11-29-00, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can hook up the sub to the R/L speaker outputs, then hook up your R/L speakers to the sub - the sub goes in-line with the speakers between the speakers and the receiver. This will take the bass out of the signal, play it through the sub, and pass the higher frequencies on to the speakers.

If your receiver has speaker A/B, you can hook up the sub to speaker B if you'd like, but you should probably still connect it to both the R and L outputs.

Adding a sub will definitely improve your bass response, even for stereo/pro-logic.
Old 11-30-00, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rainman15, the sub is very important. But considering the cost of a 'quality' sub, you really should upgrade your receiver first. A quality DD and DTS receiver, for lesser money then the sub, will more then likely give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Of course, I've no idea how to factor this against the education cost of your college enrolled daughter. I mean good grades vs. okay grades? Law or Engineering vs. Third World women studies?

------------------
Toshiba -- SD-2109
Da List -- no longer being updated

"Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens ... ... I'm getting tired of your gas, now jerk that pistol and go to work ..."