Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

RCA Sub for home theater

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

RCA Sub for home theater

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-00, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Radio Shack ad they advertised 2 RCA Home Theater subs. one was 8" that is 60 or 80 watts($99). The other was a 10" with 100 watts($199). Just wondering if RCA makes good subs? good/bad??
Old 11-29-00, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good rule of thumb is to never buy speakers from a company that makes anything other than speakers.

And RCA makes a heck of a lot of stuff.

That being said, I've never heard either of these subs, or any RCA sub unless you count walking by/trying to ignore one in Radio Shack.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. If anyone wants to give me a Sunfire sub, I won't object too loudly.
Old 11-29-00, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miller & Kriesel (M&K). Never had any problems with mine. They have subs that cost thousands but the low end subs are about $450-$500. Worth it in my book. Mine is 5 years old and still sounds great.

------------------
Mark
http://www.dvdtracker.com~lastsho
Old 11-29-00, 10:51 AM

I actually have the 60 watt RCA sub. And despite what these guys say, it sounds great with my HT. (I have a DTS setup).

I would recommend this one if your HT is in a small room. It has plenty of bass and sounds smooth. Try it out. You can always return it for a full refund if you aren't satisfied.
Old 11-29-00, 01:32 PM

Our living room is aprox. 15x25. Ok i hear mixed reviews on this RCA sub. Let me ask this: Since the 10" RCA sub costs $200 are there any better subs out there for that cost or a tad more?
Old 11-29-00, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by rubberman:
Our living room is aprox. 15x25. Ok i hear mixed reviews on this RCA sub. Let me ask this: Since the 10" RCA sub costs $200 are there any better subs out there for that cost or a tad more? <HR>

For a room that big, you'll want a bigger sub. I'd look at Velodyne, NHT, or Klipsch. For cheaper options: JBL, Infinity, or Acoustic Research.

Personally, I have a Velodyne and have been absolutely pleased with it. It was, however, more than 200...

Old 11-29-00, 07:35 PM

I just bought the RCA 12" sub for $250 from Radio Shack. So far is seems really nice, although I don't have much experience with subs to make a judgement as to the quality. To me is sounds much better than my old setup.

Douglas
Old 11-29-00, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can do MUCH BETTER then the $200 RCA sub! For $200 you can get a nice JBL 12" 250 watt sub that will blow the RCA away! Others such as Infinity, AR, Klipsch also have similar type subs for a bit more as well.

The above person who likes his (her)'s RCA sub would think much differently if they had one of these other subs replacing the RCA! I'm sure the RCA does an admirable job but it will not come close to the others in presenting the real impact needed to listen to HT soundtracks.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment