Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Simulated Surround EX - with Pro-Logic

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Simulated Surround EX - with Pro-Logic

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-00, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't afford to upgrade to a Surround EX processor at this time. There was an article,
in fact if memory serves me correctly 2 articles in Stereo Review/Sound and Vision that explained how you could simulate Surround EX using a dolby prologic receiver
with your Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver. I no longer have those issues. Is there anyone on
this forum that knows how to do this ? Please help. I have several DVD's that have
EX coding and I have a pro-logic receiver and a spare center channel.
Old 11-28-00, 03:24 PM
Banned

It's quite simple actually. Your main Dolby Digital receiver must have pre-outs for the left and right rear channels. Simply take those pre-outs and run them into an input on the Pro-Logic receiver and run that receiver in Pro-Logic Mode. Hook up all three (or four) rear speakers to the Pro-Logic receiver and the front three to your Dolby Digital receiver.

This will not be "true" EX/ES decoding, but it will give you much the same effect. Let me know if you don't understand this.

------------------
...post game show is brought to you by,......Christ I can't find it... To hell with it!
Old 11-28-00, 05:14 PM

I have the Sony str de 925. It doesn't have
pre-amp outs. I was wondering if I could
feed the outputs from the rec out (for tape
decks or minidisc ) into the prologic receiver and get a similar effect.
Old 11-28-00, 05:22 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by kappaman:
I have the Sony str de 925. It doesn't have
pre-amp outs. I was wondering if I could
feed the outputs from the rec out (for tape
decks or minidisc ) into the prologic receiver and get a similar effect.
<HR>

Unfortunately, no. Those outputs will send the left and right main signal out. You need the discrete left and right rear signal, which can only be gotten from a set of pre-amp outputs.
Old 11-28-00, 05:27 PM

Here's an article with some diagrams.

Lisel
Old 11-28-00, 06:41 PM

Thanks Lisel! That's a really interesting idea...and I happen to have an old Pro-Logic receiver around so I might just have to try this.

There's one part I don't fully get though. If the rear center is ONE signal matrixed from the rear left & right, why do you need TWO rear center speakers? The article says its to "spread out the sound and create a more natural soundfield" and that using one rear center "may sound a bit unnatural." But if both rear centers are producing the SAME signal, how could you tell the difference?

Appreciate any education you folks can offer, thanks.
Old 11-28-00, 08:08 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steerpike:
There's one part I don't fully get though. If the rear center is ONE signal matrixed from the rear left & right, why do you need TWO rear center speakers? The article says its to "spread out the sound and create a more natural soundfield" and that using one rear center "may sound a bit unnatural." But if both rear centers are producing the SAME signal, how could you tell the difference?<HR>

Yeah, I have the same question - doesn't seem to make much sense, but who knows.

Also, is there some place that lists all of the EX titles available? I know Austin Powers and The Haunting, any others?

Thanks

Old 11-29-00, 12:39 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info. Looks like I
won't be able to do it, no pre-amp outs. Some
other DVD'S with Surround EX encoding are
Fight Club, Bats, The Bone Collector, The Messenger: The Story Of Joan Of Arc, The World Is Not Enough, Mission To Mars, Terminator 2 - The Ultimate DVD Edition,
Toy Story 2, Gladiator, Perfect Storm, X-Men, Pitch Black, The Art Of War, Chicken Run
Old 11-29-00, 10:25 AM

I've only listened to one DVD in EX: Fight Club. The setup had the two center rear-surround speakers, which is what I believe the THX spec mandates. So I can't really say if there is an audible difference between having 1 or 2 center rear-surrounds. However, I don't believe one would consider using only one rear speaker in a Dolby Pro Logic-only setup, which follows the same priniciple (of matrixing the signal). The Lucasfilm THX and DTS websites should have more info on THX Surround EX and DTS-ES (discrete and not), respectively.

Lisel

Edit: Here's a link to THX's original (?) press release. I believe licensed/official Surround EX is now also available in THX Select components, not just Ultra. And here's a list of current and upcoming EX titles from Dolby.

[This message has been edited by Lisel (edited November 29, 2000).]