Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anybody have any opinions about the Oritron DVD200?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anybody have any opinions about the Oritron DVD200?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-00, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought one at 800.com for 99.84
Any thoughts on this? Read some reviews on epinions and a majority of the people liked it. I was wondering how it compares to the APEX and other lower priced models.

------------------
A heart is the only thing that has value. If you have one, throw it away.
-------------------------
[URL=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=reptile590]And on the 8th day, God created DVD
Old 11-27-00, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awwww come on! one of you guys has to have heard some information on this model.
Old 11-28-00, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Though I know this model isn't a "preferred" brand by most of the people on this forum, it seems to be a decent DVD player--especially for those who are just wanting to try the DVD experience out and upgrade from a VCR.

I haven't used one, but I also have seen many favorable reviews. That's why I bought one for my VCR-clock-setting-impaired relatives for Christmas.

------------------
JuryDuty

''Don't blame me, I voted for Jack.''
Old 11-28-00, 08:36 PM
Cool New Member

Hey:

I just got this player for my parents for Christmas, and just out of curiosity started tinkering with it. It has digital coaxial out which is nice for passing the DD and DTS signal out which this player did very well, and although it doesn't have those component video outs, it has the S-Video out. I previously owned a badly made Samsung unit that cost me three times as much as I paid for this player ($63.45 at 800.com when they had MSN 20%, DVD 10%, 20 off $100, free shipping), and this Oritron hands down beats it. It plays the DVD's I own pretty well, I can't say flawlessly since I didn't rewatch all the movies for the whole movie, but did test them to see the quality of the playing. It sounds good, looks good...the box itself is ugly, but oh well. For $64, I can't complain, and I think my parents will have fun with it.
Old 11-28-00, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Danger! Danger! Avoid! Avoid!

This unit, and all Oritrons for that matter, are dogs of DVD players and better used as a door stop. Picture performance is poor, reports of problem discs exceeds even the most buggy units from RCA and Toshiba, and output jacks are severely limited. The DVD100 was probably (not sure if it is still manufactured) the worst DVD player to see the light of day, with no S-Video and horrid video performance. From my inspection of the unit the 200 is not any better. Spend a few bucks more and get a top notch player from Sony, Pioneer, or Toshiba.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...