Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a cheap but good player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for a cheap but good player

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-00, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a decent DVD player to get, that's under $200?

I'd like it to have S-video, component too would be nice but not totally necessary .. and an optical plug for the sound instead of only RCA

I saw a Samsung DVD player the other day that was $179, but they were sold out at the time.. can anyone recomend a decent player to look for? It's for my sister for Xmas, they're not bigtime home theatre folks, they just want a dvd player, so it doesn't have to be the biggest and the best, just something decent that won't break on em or anything.
Old 11-27-00, 09:52 AM

You could try the Pioneer DV333. It retails for $200, but you may be able to find it on sale somewhere (either online or B&M). It has the digital optical and s-video connections that you want, and it also plays CD-R disks. A friend of mine has this player and loves it.

Good luck!

------------------
My DVD Collection
Old 11-27-00, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you check around, you should be able to find most of the entry level players at/below 200. Use a price search mechanism like dealtime.com
Old 11-27-00, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

I recommend the Panasonic DVD-RV20. You can get it for $189 at Target and Wal-mart. The RV20 is based on its sister player, the RV30. The RV30 has been highly rated on user review sites like epinions.com and audioreview.com. It has one of the highest ratings!

I have been doing research for hte past several months, and finally bought my first DVD player, the RV30. Just like everyone else, I love it! Picture quality is excellent. So is sound quality on a plain old stereo system!

The only difference between the RV30 and the RV20 is that the 30 has a bass output so you can connect the player directly to a subwoofer. This feature is useful if you are going to get a subwoofer, but if you're not, don't waste your money by getting the RV30.

Take a look at the Panasonic DVD-RV20. Panasonics are usually very reliable machines.

Hope this helps!

------------------
ZM Web Design Solutions