DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Plasma is dead....

Old 10-29-14, 03:31 AM
  #76  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I guess i better stock up on some extra plasma in case it starts leaking out of my tv set
Sounds like a loose paraphrase of a Kardashian sentiment.

Loved our 50" Panasonic plasma (permanently "lent" it to some really good friends who have 3 kids & are on a tight budget) and our 60" Panny plasma. Might have to consider getting a back-up for downstairs...can you still buy Panny plasma? Did they ever make 70" plasma?
Old 10-31-14, 06:29 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Well, I've been looking to replace my bedroom TV so I should get a hell of a deal on a plasma during the holidays.
I hope so. I've been thinking about getting one, but it just spent $500 fixing my car, and plasma are psychotically expensive. But Samsung will be wrapping up anytime now, can't he many Pannys left, I hear LG's aren't worth their salt. . Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-01-14, 12:31 AM
  #78  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 6,723
Received 364 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Was going to pick up a Panny TC-55AS680U 240hz LED tv for $799 - 10% off movers coupon. But now I am thinking about picking up the Sammy PN60F5300AFXZA 60" Plasma for the same price AT bb. What to do, what to do?
Old 11-01-14, 12:32 AM
  #79  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,286
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by kahuna
Was going to pick up a Panny TC-55AS680U 240hz LED tv for $799 - 10% off movers coupon. But now I am thinking about picking up the Sammy PN60F5300AFXZA 60" Plasma for the same price AT bb. What to do, what to do?
Panasonic all the way.
Old 11-08-14, 01:33 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Panasonic all the way.
Good luck finding one now though .
Old 11-09-14, 08:46 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,487
Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Was finally able to see an LG OLED at BB. First, it was in the the random terrible location. Mongolia? No, random end cap in center of an isle.

That said, I compared to 4K LG next to it. 4K is crisp, but those OLED blacks can't be beat. That said, the curve is just dumb. First thing the wife pointed out and disliked.

Love my 50" Panny plasma and keep itching to buy something else as a second tv, but keep telling myself to wait. Hopefully pick up a 60" flat 4K OLED from Panasonic in 2 years (?) and then use the plasma as second.
Old 11-09-14, 10:48 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,937
Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Why are they curved, anyways? Is it just so it's easier to see the screen at an angle?
Old 11-09-14, 01:02 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,159
Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by slop101
Why are they curved, anyways? Is it just so it's easier to see the screen at an angle?
It's a gimmick. Nothing more.

I haven't liked any if the curved screens I've seen. I just don't see any benefit and the image always looks distorted.

Maybe... maybe... a curved screen would look good on an 80"+ set where your television might take up most of the wall space it occupies. If we're talking about a tv that is ten or twelve feet wide it might work, but it just looks odd and awkward on the smaller 55" sets I've seen.
Old 11-09-14, 07:34 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by slop101
Why are they curved, anyways? Is it just so it's easier to see the screen at an angle?
I would say some suit remembers watching a 100' curved screen in 1975 and thought it was cool. And doesn't realize that a 4' curved screen is stupid.

It should actually be worse for angles, not better.
Old 11-10-14, 08:46 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,894
Received 924 Likes on 743 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Are there any non-curved OLED sets available in the > 55" category?
Old 11-11-14, 02:14 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,286
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Are there any non-curved OLED sets available in the > 55" category?
For 10k or so.
Old 11-17-14, 07:48 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 6,020
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And now LG will stop making plasmas, too. It's done.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/28/l...ma-production/
Some insane deals on 60" LG plasmas at Micro Center right now, including the 60PB5600 for $499.99 (1 HDMI, non-Smart TV) and the 60PB6650 for $599.99 (3 HDMI, Smart TV with WiFi). Fry's had the -5600 for the same price in-store a few days ago, and Target had the -6650 for the same price online (with free shipping) a couple weeks ago. The -6650 is apparently $549.99 in-store at Best Buy, if you can find any remaining stock (it's $849.99 online).
Old 11-17-14, 08:25 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,515
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

It saddens me to see plasma tvs in this slow death spiral. I always thought the technology and picture quality were definitely there but it seems like LED is destined to win out.

I definitely love my 65 inch Panasonic TC-P65ZT60. After calibration it definitely has the best picture I've ever seen in a consumer set and this includes my beloved Kuros.
Old 11-17-14, 09:20 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,286
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by printerati
Some insane deals on 60" LG plasmas at Micro Center right now, including the 60PB5600 for $499.99 (1 HDMI, non-Smart TV) and the 60PB6650 for $599.99 (3 HDMI, Smart TV with WiFi). Fry's had the -5600 for the same price in-store a few days ago, and Target had the -6650 for the same price online (with free shipping) a couple weeks ago. The -6650 is apparently $549.99 in-store at Best Buy, if you can find any remaining stock (it's $849.99 online).

Wow, I'm tempted on that $499 one but how good LG, though?
Old 11-17-14, 09:31 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,642
Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

LG is definitely a second-class plasma manufacturer. It probably still looks better than most LCDs.
Old 11-17-14, 10:02 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,578
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by printerati
Some insane deals on 60" LG plasmas at Micro Center right now, including the 60PB5600 for $499.99 (1 HDMI, non-Smart TV) and the 60PB6650 for $599.99 (3 HDMI, Smart TV with WiFi). Fry's had the -5600 for the same price in-store a few days ago, and Target had the -6650 for the same price online (with free shipping) a couple weeks ago. The -6650 is apparently $549.99 in-store at Best Buy, if you can find any remaining stock (it's $849.99 online).
Wow

I'm really happy with my Panny 50" GT25 but that's a killer deal on the 60".
Old 11-17-14, 10:34 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,286
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
LG is definitely a second-class plasma manufacturer. It probably still looks better than most LCDs.
How would an LG Plasma compare to a Panasonic LED? In general.
Old 11-17-14, 11:06 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,515
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

In general they are about equal. I would choose led or plasma based on what you would primarily be using the TV for.
Old 11-18-14, 08:43 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,392
Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

After returning a 70" Sony LED to Costco due to unacceptable banding and clouding, I'm starting to think again about picking up the 64" Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA from Best Buy. It's dropped by $700 but it's still $2500. Also thinking about the 60" 8500 which is a full $1k less. Kind of surprising there's that much of a price difference for 4 inches. I've heard nothing but good things about the model. Not sure about the cheaper plasmas though.

I have a 61" DLP now and I really wanted to go to at least 70" but with the current shitty tech out there for LED TV's, it seems like plasma may be my only route for good picture quality if my DLP takes a dump.
Old 11-18-14, 10:08 AM
  #95  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,286
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
After returning a 70" Sony LED to Costco due to unacceptable banding and clouding, I'm starting to think again about picking up the 64" Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA from Best Buy. It's dropped by $700 but it's still $2500. Also thinking about the 60" 8500 which is a full $1k less. Kind of surprising there's that much of a price difference for 4 inches. I've heard nothing but good things about the model. Not sure about the cheaper plasmas though.

I have a 61" DLP now and I really wanted to go to at least 70" but with the current shitty tech out there for LED TV's, it seems like plasma may be my only route for good picture quality if my DLP takes a dump.
And you calibrated your television set, right?
Old 11-18-14, 02:02 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,159
Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
It saddens me to see plasma tvs in this slow death spiral. I always thought the technology and picture quality were definitely there but it seems like LED is destined to win out.
There's still OLED, which, if it survives long enough to have its price drop to LED/LCD levels, will blow plasma away.
Old 11-18-14, 02:35 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,286
Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There's still OLED, which, if it survives long enough to have its price drop to LED/LCD levels, will blow plasma away.
They need to pull a hail mary and lower the prices down. Only by saturating the market with low priced OLEDs can they win.

I can dream, right?
Old 11-18-14, 03:01 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 6,020
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I'm really happy with my Panny 50" GT25 but that's a killer deal on the 60".
Yeah, if I also didn't have the same 50" Panasonic plasma, I'd be all over the -5600 (allegedly the same panel as the -6650, and I don't care about the 1 HDMI port since I have a receiver, and don't care about the lack of apps since I have a Roku). Serves us right for buying "great" instead of "good enough".
Old 11-18-14, 08:33 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,159
Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They need to pull a hail mary and lower the prices down. Only by saturating the market with low priced OLEDs can they win.

I can dream, right?
The big thing that OLED seems to have going for it with the average consumer (who knows dick about things like contrast ratios and black levels) is that they are thin and light. People eat that shit up like crazy.
Old 11-19-14, 09:08 AM
  #100  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,515
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Plasma is dead....

They may be thin and light, but until they hit a consumer friendly price point mass acceptance will never be achieved. Just look at bluray sales compared to DVDs still. Heck, I still know people with tube tvs and vhs and they perfectly content with that option.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.