Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Macrovision Ruins Movies

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Macrovision Ruins Movies

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-00, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I recently bought a Pioneer DV-434 DVD player because I wanted a progressive scan player to go with my new HDTV. It sucks watching DVDs on this player because it's compatible with something called Macrovision, which is meant to prevent you from recording DVDs onto a VCR. Okay, but I've got my player hooked directly to my TV via component video, and the picture GOES BLACK for 2 seconds maybe 2 or 3 times during every movie! When you're watching an action sequence, this seems like an eternity because you miss a lot.
The manual suggested I use interlaced video to avoid this problem, which I guess means using S-video(?) But when I use the S-video out it shuts off the progressive scan, and that defeats the point of getting this player in the first place! What a joke.
Old 11-19-00, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is not Macrovision that's causing this. It sounds like your DVD player is defective. Not to mention that the 434 isn't compatible with a lot of HDTVs out there. Not to mention also that the 434 is a really, really sucky player.
Old 11-19-00, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macrovision only screws with the conrast signal on a picture, so there's no way it could be responsible for completely killing the display. Definitely sounds like a dud player; Macrovision just looks like a normal picture, except the contrast control keeps going up and down rhythmically, it doesn't actually cut off the picture at all.
Old 11-19-00, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to have my TV screen go black during playback when I had it hooked to my Creative laps decoder card via a SVHS cable.

It was acting the same exact way as yours.

Everything went away when and acted normal when I upgraded to higher performance cables.

Good luck to you.

=Taco
Old 11-19-00, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be taking that player back now for another one......macrovision does not cause what you are experiencing!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-19-00, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Joe Schmoe:
I recently bought a Pioneer DV-434 DVD player because I wanted a progressive scan player to go with my new HDTV. It sucks watching DVDs on this player because it's compatible with something called Macrovision, which is meant to prevent you from recording DVDs onto a VCR. Okay, but I've got my player hooked directly to my TV via component video, and the picture GOES BLACK for 2 seconds maybe 2 or 3 times during every movie! When you're watching an action sequence, this seems like an eternity because you miss a lot.
The manual suggested I use interlaced video to avoid this problem, which I guess means using S-video(?) But when I use the S-video out it shuts off the progressive scan, and that defeats the point of getting this player in the first place! What a joke.
<HR>

What TV do you have? I know there is a certain HDTV out there that has a problem with analog inputs,and goes blank once every 30 minutes or so...
Old 11-19-00, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you take the 434 back do yourself a BIG FAVOR and get a different player that is a REAL Progressive Scan DVD player! The 434 is pretty much universally considered a scam by Pioneer because it is not truely a Progressive Scan DVD player as it does not do 3/2 Pulldown. The player is a waste in that you need a TV with a Line Doubler to use it's "supposed" progressive output but if you have the line doubler you will get the same quality without the 434. All the 434 is, is a DVD player with a Line Doubler! That's it! Look at either Toshiba's 5109 or 6200 or Pioneer's True Progressive Scan DVD player the DV37!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 11-19-00, 08:38 PM
Zeitguy

Not only does Macrovision not cause the symptoms you're experiencing, Macrovision isn't even passed out through the component connections, only s-video and composite.

My vote is that it's a problem with your player.
Old 11-19-00, 09:37 PM
Banned

Moving to Hardware Forum

------------------
Kenwood
DVDTalk's Main Forum Moderator
DVDTalk's Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
DVDTalk's Main Forum FAQ Thread

Email: [email protected]
Old 11-20-00, 12:58 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Zeitguy:
Not only does Macrovision not cause the symptoms you're experiencing, Macrovision isn't even passed out through the component connections, only s-video and composite.

My vote is that it's a problem with your player.
<HR>

Really? Whoa, it isn't passed through? Interesting.

------------------
Gore won! 200,000 more voters in the popular vote can't be wrong!
[email protected]
Old 11-20-00, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
If Macrovision allowed me to make dvd copies of my movies..I will be rich by now. You have any idea how many friends I have that are poor? I could hook them up!

Imagine..a copy of my LSOH oop!

How about that? HAHA!!

I am hoping for that day.
Old 11-20-00, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm using the best cables (Monster) already. Maybe I got defective cables. My HDTV is the new Proscan 38000. It says in the manual that it's compatible with progressive scan. I'm sure those other DVD players with progressive scan are wonderful, but I hadn't planned on spending $1,000 or more for a DVD player. (The TV was expensive enough!)
Old 11-20-00, 07:22 PM
BEC

In case you return the Pioneer 434, there was a good deal on the progressive scan Toshiba 5109 (as low as $350):
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005407.html

It's a MUCH better reviewed than the 434 as a 480p player. As pointed out Toshiba can be fussy about firmware upgrades, i.e. the 1200. Fortunately, the 5109 has doesn't have as many complaints in this regard.

If you get a new player, an extended warranty that covers firmware upgrades is probably a good idea.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old 11-20-00, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exchanged the 434 for a new one. Still having the same problem. Even if the 434 didn't get the best review, shouldn't I get a constant picture instead of one that goes black every 25-30 minutes?

The guy at the store said it couldn't be the cable. If it were the cable, then I would get a constantly bad picture. But it's not constant.

Not sure if I can return the 434 because I was stupid and threw away the box. Even if I can return it, I'm not sure what to get at this point. One person recommends the 5109, another says the 6200 blows it away.

Do any progressive scan players let you watch a DVD via S-video with progressive scan tunred on? I can't manipulate the size of my HDTV screen using component cables, which is the only way I can use progressive scan. I like to use progressive scan on non-anamorphic DVDs, but because I can't change the shape of the screen using component cables the picture is VERY stretched. Movies in 2.35X1 look ridiculous this way. Watching these movies via S-video lets you blow up the screen so it doesn't look stretched, but then you have to turn off progressive scan and the picture is grainy.
Old 11-21-00, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Progressive scan is only available through the progressive-scan component video output.
Old 11-23-00, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, now I'm really worried. I exchanged my Pioneer 434 dvd player for a new one, and the same problem of the screen going black keeps happening. Today, I plugged a Sega Dreamcast into the front composite port of the TV, and then a Sony Playstation, and guess what--the screen went black for a second about 20-30 minutes into each game.

Aside from the TV being f**ked up, which I've only had for a month, can anyone think of a reason why this happens? This never happens when I watch a television show, only when I watch something connected to a port (DVD, video game, videotape).
Old 11-23-00, 05:11 PM

Your problem is the Proscan 38000. My local Good Guys stopped selling them because they have been recalled for exactly this problem.
Old 11-23-00, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Catware,

Holy crap! Are you serious? I noticed you live in Morgan Hill. I live in San Jose. When you say your local Good Guys, are you referring to the one on Blossom Hill Road? That's where I bought it.
Old 11-23-00, 06:02 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Joe Schmoe:
Catware,

Holy crap! Are you serious? I noticed you live in Morgan Hill. I live in San Jose. When you say your local Good Guys, are you referring to the one on Blossom Hill Road? That's where I bought it.
<HR>

Uh, yes, actually. I tried calling them to confirm before I posted but they seem to be closed today. I had been in the store a few weeks ago looking at it (marveling at it; it's a wonderful picture). I called a few days later to inquire about it and was told by the salesperson they stopped selling them due to problems with the inputs, and that in fact all these models were being recalled.

That is the extent of my knowledge; I'm really saving my pennies for the new Toshiba 40H80.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-00, 06:11 PM

After the salesperson told me that on the phone, I tried to confirm it by checking on the web, but can't even find anything about the 38000 at all let alone a recall. Proscan doesn't even have a website (they have one 'under construction.')

Whether or not it is accurate, I don't know, but subsequent visits to the Good Guys since then confirmed that the set is no longer on display. Again, I'm going to buy the 40H80, and can't afford the $4k for the 38000, so I didn't follow up seriously.

Call them tomorrow and see what they say.