Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Newbie to DVDtalk/HT needs help on setup

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Newbie to DVDtalk/HT needs help on setup

Old 11-18-00, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post so go easy...

I just ordered my first DVD player..SD-2200 w/ built in DD Decoder. I am looking for the most efficient way to setup my "current older HT components" to get the most out of my "DVD experience"..until this spring, that is, when I will kick in for a new speaker/amp system

Current Setup:
Digital Cable Box(RCA, S-Vid out, Cable in/out)

VCR (RCA outs, cable in/out)

Sony TA-AV521 Amp (normal Dolby Pro Logic SS)
..RCA inputs
..5 speaker outputs
..normal DSS(not digital) modes

Hitachi 52" Ultravision with 4 inputs
..Cable Input (#1 input)
..1 S-video/RCA shared (#2 input)
..2 RCA input sets (#3 & #4)
..1 set output jacks(fixed level audio)
..1 set of audio out to hi-fi(variable audio)

5 speaker setup
..TV speakers are off
..running VCR audio out to Amp in

I am pretty sure i can figure out the video part..I will have to use the SVid for now on the DVD player and RCA or cable inputs on the others...

My question is the audio..

What options do I have for getting the audio out of both the DVD and cable/vcr over to my speakers? or do I??

How do I pass the DD out of the DVD into the Amp?

If I am hitting a wall, how about suggestion for "most bang for the buck" receiver to use on this new setup??

I really appreciate all the help...

Southpaw

[This message has been edited by Southpaw (edited November 18, 2000).]
Old 11-18-00, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently went through the same process. I'm using a receiver and not an amp. I know receivers have to be DD ready to handle the DD cabling.

I wanted to say welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you.
Old 11-18-00, 08:35 PM

You can usually use both the DD outputs and the RCA (Right-Left) outputs of the DVD player at the same time (I'm not familiar with that model but I doubt it would be a problem). Then you could do something funky like this:

Hook up the right-left outs from the DVD to your amp and make the most of Dolby Stereo.

AND

Hook up the right-left DD outs to an auxillary input on your amp (e.g. tape deck in) and hook up the center channel to your TV. Turn your TV speaker(s) to mono and use it in conjuction with the auxillary input on your amp. You won't have any rear channels but you will have more spacial sound and control in your front channels (which is where the most important sound comes from).

This will make a diffence on movies like BOOGIE NIGHTS with a lot of music. The dialog will be exclusively through the TV speakers and the music will be distinctively right or left. On a movie like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN you might miss the rears so watch it in Dolby Stereo.

I did this for a while before I upgraded my receiver and it was actually pretty cool. Obviously, this is not optimal but it will give you something to play with until Spring.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-00, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the info all...I have done a bit of research and come up with the following solution. I am going to have to work a little overtime to get a decent DD receiver by Christmas...

The connection of this will now be a tad easier once i have the receiver...I currently have the following components:

VCR (composite audio/video and RG59)
Digital Cable Box - Explorer 2000 (AC3,S-Vid, RG59 and Composite)
Sony 5 disc CD changer (composite)
DVD player (DD,Component,Digital,optical,composite)
Hitachi Ultravision 52" TV(composite and s-video)

I just need a decent(but not TOO expensive) receiver that can handle the 4 components listed above...(Onkyo,Denon??)

I assume that AC-3 is another name for DD??(I told you I was a newbie)

I also dont have the Subwoofer yet...Can I still plug in the digital and just have 5.0 instead of 5.1 for now??

Any good places to hunt up good used receivers??

thanks again

Southpaw
Old 11-19-00, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No sub no problem you will still get 5.0, might want to run all audio and video through your receiver for ease of switching purpose. But if you do have to do all same kind of cabling, ie rca or svideo. I fneed more help just holler.
Old 11-19-00, 08:36 AM

How about Remotes???

Of course, since i am so lazy, i would want a learning remote...one that could run the Cable Box,rcvr,vcr,tv,dvd, blah,blah....

what do I look for in the remote and who makes the better ones???

southpaw
Old 11-19-00, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a sony rmav2100 can be had or about $100.00 and works for everything i need it to.
Old 11-20-00, 02:48 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Southpaw:
How about Remotes???
(snip)
southpaw
<HR>

The great site Remote Censtral will answer all of your remote questions.