Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Using RadioShack stereo cable for component video hookup

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Using RadioShack stereo cable for component video hookup

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-00, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, my father decides to purchase a nice Toshiba TV with component video inputs. So, just for S&G, I hooked up my Toshiba 3108 DVD player to the TV using a standard $6.99 stereo cable for the video (The yellow video cable for Y signal, the white "left audio" for Cr, and, and the red "right audio" for Cb). A second stereo cable was used for audio. Total cable run: 6 feet.

As far as I can tell, I saw no problems with this type of cable setup, especially since it was temporary. (There is no way I'm letting my father touch my DVD player.) Still, what kind of problems might I get from this type of setup?

------------------
Decision 2000 - How will it end?

Mark Holtz - Visit my corner of Science Fiction at Deep Space Franchise.
Old 11-17-00, 02:09 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
No problems, just not the best quality. You should use video (75 ohm) cable for the component connections, not the white and red audio cable. I'm not sure if RS's yellow-white-red cable is just color coded or if the yellow is indeed different. To make sure, buy their 1518 or 1520 (different lengths) cable which is for video. Or do look here for some possibly better stuff at good prices: No problems, just not the best quality. You should use video (75 ohm) cable for the component connections, not the white and red audio cable. I'm not sure if RS's yellow-white-red cable is just color coded or if the yellow is indeed different. To make sure, buy their 1518 or 1520 (different lenghts) cable which is for video. Or do look here for some possibly better stuff at good prices: http://www.ac4l.com/

[This message has been edited by X (edited November 16, 2000).]