Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need to replace my Harmony 880 Pro remote - with what?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trusty 880 is finally starting to die out but it has been discountinued. What is the closest replacement? I don't need to control the lights in my room and all those sorts of things. Just simple macros to control the receiver/dvd/tv....
Old 11-16-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Need to replace my Harmony 880 Pro remote - with what?

I'd be curious if there are other options. I finally got a Harmony One last year, but it's really finicky. Or at least their software isn't anywhere near as intuitive to setup based on actions, buttons, and pre-set macros. I'm setting up a Roku 3 right now and it's giving me fits.

Maybe the 650 or Smart Control if you want to stick with the brand?
Old 11-17-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need to replace my Harmony 880 Pro remote - with what?

The Harmonys are basically all the same. The only important differences are the button layout and number of devices they can control. Transferring to a new one should be quite easy.

But:
This is a bad time in their history. They almost got sold/killed by Logitech a few months ago and they now seem to be in a dead zone. Maybe they are working on a new line, idk. But they just have the 650, which only allows 5 devices, and crazy advanced models that are overkill AND have stupid button layout. (the whole point of Harmony was simplicity for 'everyone else') If 5 devices covers you, go for the 650. Or maybe you can find an older model for a good price, there seem to be 600s on Amazon which are very similar.

You can always switch to something else, but that means starting over. The URC-R40 would be excellent. But it must be programmed on the remote, go into that with your eyes open.