Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Another sub question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-00, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2 outputs on my sub and only 1 input on my reciever, or vice-versa. Anyway does a Y connector help or is it O.K just to plug one of the RCA cables in and have the other one dangling?
Old 11-08-00, 06:17 PM

Just connect one end of the RCA cable to the sub-out on your receiver, and the other end of the RCA cable to the sub. Connect the RCA cable on your sub to the LFE in and if you don't have an LFE in then just connect it to one of the channels on the sub. There is no need for a y-adapter.
Old 11-08-00, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there's just one driver, it should be okay with just one interconnect, but I have noticed that using a Y-adaptor boosts the signal ever so slightly, and is often preferred among sub owners. I think most people would suggest you invest the few dollars in the y-adaptor setup, unless you've got a really long run from the receiver to sub. [add] There's no logical improved performance by doing this, but us neurotics sleep better at night.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 11-09-00, 09:15 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
There's no logical improved performance by doing this
<HR>

Digit is right that there is no improvement with the y-adapter. Save your money and don't buy the y-adapter. There is no way that it will help at all.

Old 11-09-00, 10:10 AM

THANKS
Old 11-11-00, 05:12 AM
Cool New Member

I do believe if your sub has a dual cone driver and most of them do, you'll need to use a Y adapter, I do, it works for me. I think if your only plugging into one channel you're only using half of the driver, half the power and half the output?? Your manual should tell you about it, either that or email or call them. Peace SteveF
Old 11-11-00, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as almost everyone has said there is no advantage to using a "Y" adapter. the second output on the receiver is intended to drive a second sub.
Old 11-11-00, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The easiest thing to do would be to use the LFE output on the receiver and connect a RCA cable to the left(or the one marked mono)input on the sub.

Most times the left RCA channel is the one used when you run mono, it may even say that under it.

I have passive subs, so I can't tell you if there would be any advantage to splitting it. Even if it is split you still have the save output voltage going to the sub input so I wouldn't think it would matter.

However if your receiver has 2 LFE outputs(not many do) running an RCA from each to the sub would double the output voltage and increase the gain of your sub.

stevef,
I think you may be confusing "dual cone" with dual voice coils. A driver(speaker) has only 1 cone, but can have dual voice coils.