Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Headphone & computer setup questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I decided to get my computer set up for some serious sound since I game so often and most of my late night watching of movies is on my computer.

So, I got a pair of AKG 65th anniversary headphones and am looking to get a FiiO E07K amp. But, the soundcard is giving me headaches.

So, my best set up for gaming & movies is:
  • My AKG 65th headphones connects via RCA to the FiiO amp. (I think)
  • FiiO amp connects to the USB sound card via ???
  • Creative Soundblaster XFi Surround Pro 5.1 or Recon3D or ??? (I don't have room for a integrated soundcard thanks to crossfired cards... not sure what to get here) connects to the PC via USB cable.

So, my two road-bumps are my soundcard (I only have an integrated motherboard one) and what connects the amp to the USB soundcard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-13, 10:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Headphone & computer setup questions

It would help if you linked to details of the components you're asking about.
Old 05-28-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The external amp takes away the need for a soundcard. It doesn't plug into one, it just plugs into any USB port and supplies a better DAC. (Maybe I misunderstood, but the E07K doesn't need another USB soundcard, it is one itself) From the Amazon description, this would be a valid generic description for any USB DAC:

FiiO E7 portable headphone amplifier with USB audio decoder (DAC). This product is designed to replace PC on board sound card that do not have enough output power for higher-end headphone. With USB audio decoding, amplification and audio output, E7 can serve as both a professional headphone amplifier as well as an external USB sound card.
Wolfson seems to be a big name in standalone DACs, just like Analog Devices is for receivers or BDps, and ESS Sabre for high-end receivers/BDp. Should be a nice amp.

Last edited by Spiky; 05-28-13 at 11:30 PM. Reason: parenthetical
Old 05-31-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm borrowing a friend's ASUS PCI XONAR ESSENCE card to see if it'll fit between my other cards. If it does, it'll basically simplify my setup to a much easier "headphones-to-sound card" deal. If that does not work, I'll go back to looking for an external setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OV789U/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1