Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Screen measurement issue

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Screen measurement issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-00, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've thinking lately about how we measure screen size diagonally. Why is this? With the new widescreen televisions coming out, don't you think it would be better to measure the screen vertically and then state whether it was WS or not? ie a 23"WS would be more like a 32" 16:9 set, and a 23" would be more like a 27" 4:3 set.

It would make more sense and make it easier to compare screen sizes because then objects on one screen would be the same height as on another screen. It's kind of complicated why I think this is a better way of doing it, but does anyone see how this makes more sense? If not, I will try to explain (it's 2:00 am and I wont' be able to explain it clearly right now)...
Old 11-06-00, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The diagonal measurement came from the days when screens were not that big and the diagonal measurement sounded bigger. I remember when upgrading my 19" TV to a 27" was considered getting a bigscreen TV. And that wasn't really that long ago. Also with all TV's 4:3 the diagonal was a constant. Not so with 2 different ratios now. So I agree, they should just go width. That would also help boost 16:9's

------------------
The Negroes stole our dates!!!
Seven years of college down the drain...
HOLY S**TTTTA!!!
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD's