Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some help on Selecting a Big Screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need some help on Selecting a Big Screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-00, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following is a list of big screens currently being offered at Amazon.com

I have been clicking away for about 4 months and currently have over $1800 in Gc's

I have went to B&M stores and looked at most of the product listed below. I would appreciate any advice you could offer. BTW they currently have free shipping

Panasonic PT-51G44 51 Inch Projection TV Price: $1,399.88

Panasonic PT-51G35, 51" Projection TV Price: $1,449.88

RCA P52921 52" Projection Stereo Monitor TV Price: $1,499.99

Toshiba 50A60 50" TV Price: $1,499.99

Sony KP-43T75 43" Big Screen TV Price: $1,599.99

Philips Magnavox 9P6031C 60" Projection Television Price: $1,799.00

RCA P60921 60" Projection Stereo Monitor TV Price: $1,799.99

Panasonic PT-51SX30, 51" Projection TV Price: $1,799.99

It will used for Cable TV mostly, but I do have a fairly large collection of DVD's (75) and do have a surround sound system consisting of Energy Take 5 speakers and a Pioneer receiver. One consideration is the size of the room it will be placed in ( 18 X 15)

Thanks

[This message has been edited by flylikeaneagle (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old 11-04-00, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My suggestion would be.....do not waste your money on a television at this point which is not HDTV ready!!! Also, if you care about the anamorphic dvds at all....be sure to buy a television which is 16X9!!! You will wind up spending more money but it will be money well spent....that is unless you do not care about digital tv and widescreen dvds(anamorphic)!!! Good Luck!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-04-00, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

djones6746, u got any suggestions on these tv's ur talking about?
Old 11-04-00, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by huzefa:
djones6746, u got any suggestions on these tv's ur talking about?<HR>

I do but I am not sure how much you guys want to spend....

Best Buy has a Toshiba(I believe it is a 40" 16X9 HDTV ready)for $2499...

They also have the new Pioneers but these are pricey...I would wait for a preferred customer coupon or wait for the sale around Super Bowl time....the Pioneers just came out...

53" 16X9 HDTV Pioneer $3999

This TV will probably be reduced by at least $500.00 if not more by the time Super Bowl Sunday arrives....add a 10% preferred customer coupon to that and you receive a pretty good deal....

If size does not matter as much...I would go with the Toshiba!!! You may be able to find this marked down for less than $2499...I have not checked on this price in some time.

Good Luck!! I will try and find some other suggestions for you....

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-04-00, 03:41 PM

Toshiba TW40X81 40" Theater Wide HDTV-Ready Price: $2,100.00

Amazon has this product on back order.
My question is how is this thing going to look when watching TV?
Old 11-04-00, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by flylikeaneagle:
Toshiba TW40X81 40" Theater Wide HDTV-Ready Price: $2,100.00

Amazon has this product on back order.
My question is how is this thing going to look when watching TV?
<HR>

That I am unsure of....anyone else know!!!???

BTW...that is a good price for this TV....

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-04-00, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$2100 for a 40"? is it that good of a tv? Is it HDTV ready? or do u have to buy a HD-receiver/decoder/whatever?
Old 11-04-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$2100 for a 40"? is it that good of a tv? Is it HDTV ready? or do u have to buy a HD-receiver/decoder/whatever?<HR>

This set is HDTV ready....no decoder!! I have not seen many on the market which come with a decoder....I am waiting awhile for prices to come down....

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-04-00, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just so i understand (being a newbie to TVtechnobabble) what's the diff between hdtv-ready and hdtv-whateverelse

is hdtv-ready mean it can accept hdtv signals, but not without a receiver? so if u wanna watch the leno show in hdtv, u have to have receiver?
Old 11-04-00, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just so i understand (being a newbie to TVtechnobabble) what's the diff between hdtv-ready and hdtv-whateverelse

is hdtv-ready mean it can accept hdtv signals, but not without a receiver? so if u wanna watch the leno show in hdtv, u have to have receiver?
<HR>

If I purchase this TV and do not purchase the decoder....guess what??? My cable company has digital cable and for a couple of bucks more per month, I can upgrade my cable and use the cable company's equipment without having to spend up to $1500 for a decoder!!!
Call your cable company and see if they have this technology yet...I am assuming they already do....

------------------

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old 11-04-00, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
If I purchase this TV and do not purchase the decoder....guess what??? My cable company has digital cable and for a couple of bucks more per month, I can upgrade my cable and use the cable company's equipment without having to spend up to $1500 for a decoder!!!
Call your cable company and see if they have this technology yet...I am assuming they already do....

<HR>

Hmm.... that's interesting, since I already have digital cable, and it doesn't look any different from my normal cable. Prolly 'cuz my TV is old, but would it look better than digital cable, say if I had a directv dish?
Old 11-04-00, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm.... that's interesting, since I already have digital cable, and it doesn't look any different from my normal cable. Prolly 'cuz my TV is old, but would it look better than digital cable, say if I had a directv dish?
<HR>

Digital cable is not the same as an HDTV signal- not even close. To get true HDTV you need an HDTV reciever, a signal source, which could be an over the air antenna (depending on your area) or a DSS signal such as Dish Network or Direct tv and a tv capable of accepting the HDTV signal. I could go into lots more detail, but don't have the time right now. I'll post more later.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
See You Next Wednesday (in Feel Around)
Old 11-04-00, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<HR>

By the time HDTV is mainstream, HDTV TV's and decoders will be very affordable...all I am saying is....if you are going to spend this much money for a new TV.....I would make sure it is HDTV ready...would not worry about the decoder or HDTV at this time...the main attraction for me would be the 16X9 feature of the television for my anamorphic widescreen dvds....

As DVD_O_Rama stated...digital cable is not HDTV....I would still invest in an HDTV 16X9 television if you are into anamorphic dvds as well as the capability of receiving HDTV in the future!!! I would also say that if you can wait another year...these Televisions are going to be much cheaper!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-05-00, 12:55 AM

In my opinion the Toshiba TW40X81 40" Theater Wide HDTV-Ready is a amazing machine. I have seen dvds on it used with a progressive scan dvd player and the picture was nothing short of amazing. It was in a low lit room and had video essentials used on it. That tv is a tremnedous bargain at that price especially for what you are getting.
Old 11-05-00, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, digital cable has nothing to do with decoders or HDTV, it's just regular 4x3 cable. I have a true HDTV (not HDTV-ready). It's a Toshiba DW65X91, which is almost the same as the TW65X81, except it has the HDTV decoder built-in & DirecTv digital reciever built-in. It also came with the elliptical dish needed for DirecTv's HD stations. All I had to get was a good antenna to pick up the networks' (ABC, CBS, FOX) HD stations. The price was $7,000, but it's worth every penny. Plus it might be a collector's edition/item. Toshiba told me they only made 250 of them. Actually 249, since I returned the first one.