Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic possibly exiting the plasma TV business

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Panasonic possibly exiting the plasma TV business

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Panasonic possibly exiting the plasma TV business

I have a Plasma. I hope Panasonic stays in the game.
Old 08-08-13, 12:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I have two Panny plasmas (about 3-4 years old) and no desire to change anything. I too hope they still produce these going forward.
Old 09-19-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I'm gonna post this here instead of starting a new thread.

At my place of employment we have one Panasonic 55et5 remaining. The going rate for a 60st60 is around 1500 at other stores. I love my old panasonic plasma. It's 720 and I want to upgrade to 3d as well so these are my two choices. I could save about 400 by getting the led. Does anyone here have either set? Neither of them are on display at any store within reasonable driving distance.
Old 09-20-13, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LCDs have all sorts of ways to reduce blur these days. Higher refresh rates, refreshing the backlight in addition to the LCD cells, etc. All so they can achieve what plasma does naturally....no blur. The reason the plasma costs $4-500 more than the LCD is partly size, but partly because it compares better with higher cost LCDs. BTW, the 55et5 is under a grand on Amazon right now, sounds like that is less than your employer.

The 178 degree viewing angle is what I like about the Pannys, both plasma and LCD. My dad has a Sony, if I'm at a 45 deg angle, the colors change. Not with Panny. Gorgeous from everywhere in the room.
Old 10-14-13, 10:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looks like March 2014 Panasonic plasma TV's come to an end.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...m_medium=email

Panasonic Saying Goodbye to Plasma?
The end of Panasonic plasma?

October 09, 2013 by EH Staff

Say it isn’t so. Home theater enthusiasts may have to start hoarding their favorite plasma TVs. Panasonic, makers of the popular VIERA plasma TVs, will reportedly stop making plasma TVs after March 2014, according to MarketWatch, citing the Japanese Nikkei index.

According to Panasonic public financial statements, the company has lost more than $15 billion in the plasma TV business over the past two years. According to MarketWatch, Panasonic is in talks to sell one of its three plasma display factory buildings in western Japan with the other two remaining facilities also earmarked for a possible sale.

The plasma TV marketshare has been shrinking faster than Miley Cyrus’ future career prospects. According to NPD DsplaySearch, plasma TVs accounted for 40 percent of flat panel sales in 2010. In 2013, they are expected to account for just 2.5 percent. Panasonic is the No. 5 most used TV brand among CE Pro 100 integrators.

The losses have occurred primarily due to eroding prices from the LCD competition combined with the strong Japanese yen currency that simply made it too expensive to make the products. According to the report, Panasonic plans to continue to sell plasmas until its inventory runs out.

Similar reports surfaced in the fall of 2011 and then again earlier this year, so perhaps this is just something that will pop up occasionally only to be proven wrong later. We hope it’s a false alarm.

When asked to comment on the report, Panasonic offered this reply:

“The content of the report released overnight is not something that was announced by Panasonic.”
Old 10-31-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shit, looks like it's almost official now:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/end-ma...154500256.html

Are we nearing the end for plasma TVs? That's the question we're asking today after Panasonic reportedly announced that it would stop making and selling plasma sets. (We've contacted Panasonic for confirmation and to answer a few questions, and we'll update this post when we hear back.)

Though not exactly a surprise—reports of the company's exit surfaced earlier this month—many TV fans are disappointed, as proponents of not only plasma TV in general but of Panasonic's models specifically, which have typically ranked near the top of our TV Ratings in all size categories 42 inches and larger. In fact, eight of the top 10 TVs in our Ratings of TVs 60 inches or larger are plasma models, and five are from Panasonic. The Panasonic ZT60-series sets were probably the best overall TV we tested this year, with the exception of the Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV.

In a statement issued in Japan, Panasonic said it would stop making plasma panels in December of this year, and it will stop selling plasma TVs in March 2014. The company's approach had been to focus on plasma TVs in larger screen sizes, and LCD TVs for smaller and medium-sized sets. But the company said that the rapid develpment of larger-sized LCD TVs and severe price competition, compounded by flagging demand for plasma, forced it to make the decision for business reasons.

According to the market-research firm DisplaySearch, plasmas accounted for just 6 percent of overall TV sales worldwide, compared with 87 percent for LCDs.

With Panasonic's exit, that leaves only LG Electronics and Samsung as major brands selling plasma TVs—and LG's hold seems tenuous, given that this year it reduced its plasma TV lineup to a single series. However, in response to our question, LG said it's already previewed its 2014 line for key retailers and it plans to introduce new LG plasma HDTVs at CES in January. We've also reached Samsung for comment, and we'll update this report if we hear back. Periodically some secondary brands may offer a plasma TV series, but typically one of the major brands is the source of the plasma panels they use.

It's not clear what Panasonic's overall approach to the TV market will be for the next few years. It recently announced its first Ultra HD TV, and the company could just continue to sell LCD TVs, though the LCD market is crowded with brands—major and secondary—and fierce pricing competition as a result.

So the big question for most of us is whether to rush out and buy a Panasonic plasma TV while they're still available, presuming the company will continue to maintain parts and service for all the sets it has sold. LCD TV technology has certainly improved over the past few year and addressed some of the technology's shortcomings, such as motion blur, though some issues (viewing angle, lack of backlight uniformity) remain.

This year, whenever I've been asked for advice by a friends shopping for a new TV, I've steered them toward the Panasonic ST60, which I believe offers the best combination of performance, features and price of any TV sold this year. I'm not going to change that recommendation, but I think I'll be needing a backup. It's my belief that by the fourth quarter of the year, you might have a tough time finding one of these sets at a local retailer.
Old 10-31-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, shit. I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas.
Old 11-03-13, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Looks like I'm going to have to grab a 65" Viera while I still can.

So will this leave LG and Samsung as the only manufacturers who still produce plasmas?
Old 11-03-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like I'm going to have to grab a 65" Viera while I still can.

So will this leave LG and Samsung as the only manufacturers who still produce plasmas?
Looks that way.

I'll be going shopping, too.
Old 11-03-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Sad indeed. Have had my 50GT30 for 2.5 years now. Only wish it were slightly larger. Also picked up a 55GT50 for my parents to replace their 7-8 year old pre-HD Panny and they love the upgrade.

At this point I'll wait it out until I can get a 60" Panny OLED for maybe $2-3k. I'm guessing that will be 3-4 years more time.
Old 11-07-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I was close to buying a 65-inch Panasonic S60 last night on Amazon.com for $1299, but I was indecisive and did not click purchase. Checked this morning and that size was sold out. Only model left in that series is the 50-inch.

My 50-inch 720p Panny that I purchased five years ago is still going strong. Awesome picture.
Old 11-07-13, 03:44 PM

I bought 50 inch Panasonic Plasma S60 for $699 ( plus got $100 worth of points from Sears ) few months ago. Love this TV. Yesterday I convinced some onlooker at Best Buy to buy this TV. He seemed happy. Doing my best to spread the plasma gospel !!

It replaced my Hitachi RPTV LCD. [ Installed a new bulb and it works fine ]

I also have a Panny Plasma 42 in my bedroom
Old 12-05-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I've been keeping my eye out because I wanted to pick up a 60 - 65 inch 3D Panny plasma before they stop making them. The best deal I seem to find is the TC-P60ST60 on Amazon for $1,499 w/ 2% back in credit. Anyone seen anything better?

EDIT: It seems like my employer gets a corporate discount through the Panasonic website and I can also get the TC-P65ST60 for $1,949

SECOND EDIT: The TC-P65ST60 just dropped at Amazon to $1,995. So after the 2% back and no tax, that might be the way to go.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 12-05-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Cnet has been updating their article from the end of October.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...asonic-plasma/

Old 12-22-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FUCK! Figures. I guess saving up for that, which I'd always had plans to do, isn't happening now! I guess that's how it goes. My money is too tight don't now to grab one.
Old 12-23-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Sucks. My Panny plasma I bought at the end of 2011 has been doing a lot of buzzing lately. It's making me very nervous.
Old 12-23-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Short of an economic miracle happening, I don't see anything changing their minds either. I've heard they were the best you could buy too, though I'm sure there are many opinions. Many, this economy sucks.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 12-23-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Pioneer was the Elite but they couldn't find enough buyers when the economy turned. The panasonic is/was a great TV for rhe money. Being technologically superior doesn't necessarily mean the public will automatically pick the right one. LCD's are damn fine displays but I still think the plasma is superior inch for inch.
Old 12-23-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple weeks ago my Dad upgraded his 720p Pioneer Elite to a 65 inch Panasonic plasma and it looks pretty damn good. Since I missed out on that halfway decent deal on the TC-P65ST60 a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get one either. At this point, I'm almost leaning more towards a projector anyways since we have the space for it.
Old 12-23-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Well Pioneer was the Elite but they couldn't find enough buyers when the economy turned. The Panasonic is/was a great TV for rhe money. Being technologically superior doesn't necessarily mean the public will automatically pick the right one. LCD's are damn fine displays but I still think the plasma is superior inch for inch.
My LCD that I bought fairly inexpensively on sale looks OK to me, but I don't have much of a point of comparison. I've always wanted to pick up a real-high end TV, but my occupation and the economy, and my own reticence to spend money dissuaded me, I snooze I lose. Didn't Panasonic eventually buy up some of Pioneer's old team? When they're gone, what's going to be the elite now
Old 12-24-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
When they're gone, what's going to be the elite now
Vizio.
Old 12-25-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My LCD that I bought fairly inexpensively on sale looks OK to me, but I don't have much of a point of comparison. I've always wanted to pick up a real-high end TV, but my occupation and the economy, and my own reticence to spend money dissuaded me, I snooze I lose. Didn't Panasonic eventually buy up some of Pioneer's old team? When they're gone, what's going to be the elite now
Samsung, I think.
Old 12-25-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When they're gone, what's going to be the elite now
Panasonic LCD.
Old 12-25-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost the bubble there... Jim Rochester was talking about the "Pioneer Elite" but somewhere along the way it seems it was converted to a generic term. I thought Sharp bought the "Elite" name/tech... they had a Full Array LED the called "Elite" but it didn't sell and they dropped it. I thought the name was dead. Am I wrong?
Old 12-25-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I was both referring to the Pioneer Kuro Elite, and used elite as a generic term for the best out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.