Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Differences between 27 inch Wegas

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Differences between 27 inch Wegas

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-00, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony has 4 different 27 inch Wegas on their website: the V-15(msrp $950), V-16(msrp $900), S-16 ($800) and the S-12($700)

According to the site, "Sony created the FD Trinitron® picture tube to meet the high performance demands of the digital era. It's the first CRT to come anywhere near this close to absolute flatness - and it's available exclusively in these models..."

The only 27 inch that's listed is the FV-15. I thought they all had the FD Trinitron tube.

I am aware of 3 distinct differences in these models: sound, inputs and filter. I don't really care about the sound since I will be connecting it to external speakers. Inputs aren't really that big of a deal either.

The more expensive models have a 3-D Digital Comb Filter, while the less expensive models have 3-Line Digital Comb Filter. Is this a big deal? On a 27 inch TV, is there really any noticeable difference? And is there any difference at all with a DVD player in 16:9 mode connected with an S-Video cable or does the filter only matter with regular TV?

Are there any other differences I'm missing?

[This message has been edited by peskoe150 (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old 11-02-00, 08:48 AM

Comb filters do not affect S-Video input. If your main interest is watching DVDs in 16:9 mode, then I wouldn't worry about getting the better comb filter.
Old 11-03-00, 10:41 AM
AW

I am pretty sure that a 3 line comb filter and a 3d comb filter are the same thing.

Usually, the difference between an S and a V series Sony set is whether the set has velocity scan modulation (which enhances edge sharpness at the cost of some distortion).

Watching an anamorphic ("enhanced for 16:9) DVD in 16:9 mode will yield significantly higher resolution (about 1/3) and will not have the downconversion artificats or softness associated with watching an anamorphic DVD in 4:3 mode, so it is a very worthwhile feature if you watch alot of anamorphic DVDs. It will not make a difference on non-anamorphic DVDs).